Chemonics is an international development consulting firm that promotes meaningful change to help people live healthier, more productive, and more independent lives. Chemonics’ mission is driven by our commitment to service – to our mission, our beneficiaries, and clients, and our staff. Working under contract with USAID and other aid donors, Chemonics designs and implements development projects in many of the world’s developing countries.
The Iraq Durable Communities and Economic Opportunities (DCEO) is a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) program implemented by Chemonics International in Iraq. DCEO aims to support vulnerable communities to build community resilience against destabilizing factors by increasing their adaptive capacity and economic well-being. The project consists of two objectives. Objective 1, Adaptative capacity of vulnerable communities increased is achieved through two components. Component 1.1 seeks to mitigate drivers of conflict in targeted communities and Component 1.2 seeks to enhance community leadership of inclusive local development. Objective 2, Economic well-being of communities advanced, will rest on the assessments, analysis, foundations, and groundwork of Objective 1.
The Communications officer writes and distributes content to promote an agency’s brand, activities, or products. They act as a liaison between the agency, the public, and the media to ensure that the brand remains top of mind. The post holder will also work within the wider communications team to story gather in support of USAID’s communications strategy.
Reports to: Communication and Outreach specialist
Required Travel: 75% within Iraq
Working Hours: 8:30 to 5:30
- Assist in the execution of communications strategies.
- Offer administrative support to projects and in-house teams.
- Create and edit communications copy (e.g. publications, social media posts).
- Help to maintain web content and implementation of social media strategies.
- Track projects and media exposure as well as update databases and media lists.
- Oversee internal communications and distribution channels.
- Maintain calendars, schedules and appointments.
- Help in researching, writing and editing content for distribution including photos and videos.
- Help the team develop public relations and promotional materials including the creation and distribution programs.
- Provide support to the administrative functions of the communications and outreach team, including preparing presentations, procuring goods and services, scheduling meetings, making travel arrangements, and other duties as assigned.
- Regularly collect data, prepare reports/presentations and evaluate the status of DCEO’s public image and make recommendations for expanding or improving the public image.
- Coordinate with DCEO technical teams, subcontractors, and grantees to collect success stories and maintain a record of activities implemented to capture the overall impact of DCEO
- Draft success stories that reflect project impact via working closely with other teams
- Ensure all do-no-harm policies while gathering content and comply with USAID guidelines.
- Minimum three years of experience in writing, communications, journalism, translation, interpretation, and/or public relations required
- Previous experience with donor-funded project implementation preferred
- Strong organization skills and detail-oriented.
- Outstanding communication (oral and written) skills.
- Strong editing and researching skills.
- Proven proficiency in using various social media platforms or a strong desire to learn.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Working knowledge of design software (e.g., Photoshop, InDesign) and content management systems is a plus.
- Experience with marketing communications, web content management, social media marketing or public relations is a plus.
- Knowledge of Iraq’s operating environment preferred.
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
- Fluency in written and oral Arabic and/or Kurdish required.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Iraq and assist in workshops and conferences and content gathering required.
- BSc/BA in a relevant field.
To apply, please visit:
Note: We will be reviewing the CVs on rolling basis and the position can be filled even before the closing date.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.