Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Baghdad Medical Rehabilitation Centre
The MSF Baghdad Rehabilitation Centre (BMRC) intends to offer early comprehensive care with medical services post surgery to the patients with trauma that resulted in fractures and or amputation in the lower limbs, fractures in the upper limbs. Comprehensive Medical services include: early physiotherapy, nursing care, pain management and psychological support. BMRC works also in partnership with Amman RSP for providing comprehensive medical care to Iraqi war victims who needs reconstructive surgeries.
MSF / Baghdad BMRC team is seeking for:
Perform counselling and/or education sessions to patients, following different medical and mental health MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve their psychosocial condition.
Scope of responsibilities:
- Identify the psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs for patients.
- Actively promote the availability of counselling services and carry out, individual or in group counselling, basic psycho educational sessions, to patients, their families (when needed), in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
- Refer patients to other specialists or other institutions for further assistance, when necessary, in order to propose the best support available.
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for counselling activities
- Take active part in trainings, supervisions/InterVision’s and support the activity manager when necessary in doing sensitization for MSF staff or external partners about mental health /psychosocial issues. Discuss difficulties and problems in counselling with supervisor.
- Provide psychosocial counselling to patients and family/caretakers to cope with their situation and treatment.
- Support patients’ engagement with their treatment and to engage themselves in their own recovery.
- Individual counselling providing support to the patients with regards to their suffering, acceptance, perception and condition.
- Identify and support potential patients and family caretakers with difficulties in their coping process.
- Recording and filing of individual patient care and group activities, in writing and in electronic format, according to MSF clinical department’s requirements.
- Keep files and statistics of daily activities updated.
- Write weekly situation reports about the activities done and challenges found.
- Participate in mental health department and in multidisciplinary team meetings to share experiences and to discuss patients’ situations, following the protocol of confidentiality.
- Strong collaboration with other departments
- Ensure the confidentiality of the beneficiaries.
Education Counselling, social work, psychology or another similar degree/diploma.
Experience 1-year experience essential. Mental health background. Experience with NGO desirable
Languages Arabic and English are essential.
Competencies Teamwork, flexibility, commitment, pro-activity, good communication skills
How to apply:
Applicants must submit their CVs and cover Letter no later than 9th October 2022 to the following address:
stating the job title in the subject line: COUNSELOR EDUCATOR
We strongly encourage you to submit your application as early as possible
ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED