The head of base is responsible for the proper functioning of the base, and the proper implementation of activities designed and being implemented on the base
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Security and safety: S/he is responsible of the immediate site security
- Program: S/he ensures the coordination between the support team (administration and logistics), project managers in order to timely and qualitatively guarantee that the objectives and results of all projects are reached. S/he supports the deputy area coordinator for programs in identifying potential elements that could block the proper implementation of programs.
- Human Resources: S/he supervises all of the teams at the site (attendance, punctuality, daily problems). He is the line manager of all the support teams (logistics, HR and finance).
- Logistics: Ensure the compliance with the relevant logistics procedure, the effective operation on the ground logistics-wise.
- Administrative and financial support: S/he oversees the administrative and financial components at the site for the purpose of program implementation, with substantive support from the Administrative and Financial Coordinator (AFC) of the mission.
- Representation: S/he will support the deputy area coordinator with representation of the organization before the partners, authorities, and various local actors operating in the area where his/her base is located.
- Coordination: S/he centralizes and disseminates information from/to the site, and consolidates the internal and external reporting activities implemented in his/her field of operations before submitting them to the immediate supervisor.
- Assessment/Program Development: S/he participates in strategy development and proposes new interventions in function of needs identified in his/her field of operations and in coordination with the project managers on the site.
Specific Goals and Related Activities
1. ENSURE THE SECURITY AND SAFETY OF THE PEOPLE AND PROPERTY
- S/he ensures that the safety plan for the site is up-to-date, and that everyone knows and understands it.
- S/he participate in the validation process for the access letter and the assessment process in case of new intervention areas closely with the direct supervisor and the field security advisor.
- S/he ensures data collection relative to the safety on his/her field of operations, provides analyses, and disseminates them to his/her immediate supervisor regularly or on an ad-hoc basis if urgent and work closely with the field security advisor.
- S/he verifies that the material and human resource means at his/her disposal are adequate to ensure the optimal safety of teams, materials and beneficiaries.
- S/he alerts his/her immediate supervisor without delay in case of impending danger of teams or beneficiaries.
- In the event of a security incident, (regardless of whether it took place or was avoided), S/he ensures that the information is transmitted to his/her immediate supervisor without delay, and reported upon in accordance with PUI guidelines.
2. SUPERVISE TEAMS AT THE SITE
- S/he supervises the logistic and administration teams on the site.
- S/he participates in the hiring process, as well as in any decision related to the termination of employment contracts of the support employees on the site.
- S/he ensures compliance with the Internal Rules of Procedure of PUI on the site.
- S/he ensures of administrative management of the personnel, in particular, payroll operations, monitoring absences, constructing, updating and archiving administrative files of personnel with the support of HR coordination when relevant.
- S/he makes sure that all employees are subject to a written evaluation at least once per contract period and per year.
- S/he assumes or delegates responsibility for the integration of any new employee on the site, and ensures, in particular, that the context of program implementation, safety rules, logistical, administrative, HR and financial procedures, as well as procedures for the use of communication and transportation are explained and understood.
- S/he completes training programs for the teams (organizational support, methodology, technical support as the case may be organization of training sessions…).
- S/he drafts or delegates responsibility for the drafting of job profiles for staff about to be replaced or hired and sends them for endorsement to his/her immediate supervisor.
- S/he prepares the job profiles of staff under his/her immediate supervision, endorses job profiles of staff drafted by the Technical Managers at his/her site, and forwards them for endorsement HR Coordinator, and to any other potentially relevant party, (depending on the position).
- S/he updates the organizational chart of the base, and has it endorsed by his/her immediate supervisor and the AFC.
- S/he handles the management of interpersonal conflicts that arise on his/her site, and refers the matter to his/her immediate supervisor and/or HR coordinator in the event that s/he is not able to resolve dispute.
- S/he is the guardian of the image of PUI in his/her area of operation, and in that capacity ensures that the entire staff under his/her authority displays behavior consistent with the values upheld by the organization, and with full respect for the local culture.
2. ENSURE LOGISTICAL, SUPPORT FOR THE SITE
- S/he ensures that the needs of the site are met (support, programming) and makes the needs known to his/her direct supervisor.
- S/he ensures that the site is equipped with the minimum of infrastructure (offices and housing) necessary for execution of the work and accommodation of teams, in optimal conditions of safety.
- S/he oversees the vehicle fleet, and more globally ensures its proper functioning, as well as the maintenance of all equipment belonging to the site.
- S/he ensures adequate storage arrangements for all property and equipment.
- S/he ensures proper delivery of all purchases planned for the operational sites.
- S/he prepares and updates the inventory of supplies and equipment for the site, and submits it to the LOGC.
- S/he is responsible for cost optimization; and uses budget tracking to achieve this; s/he ensures adequate financial resources for the running of the site.
3. ENSURE ADMINISTRATIVE AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR THE SITE
- As regards budgetary monitoring, s/he ensure in team-based analysis (along with technical, administrative and logistics management) and is responsible for detecting anomalies and proposing adjustments to his/her immediate supervisor and to the AFC.
- S/he ensures that accounting entries are completed in compliance with internal rules, and communicated to the AFC according to the agreed calendar. Together with the AFC, S/he tracks the cash flow for his/her site, and oversees disbursements.
- Together with the AFC, S/he ensures that a system of internal oversight is in place at the site.
- S/he ensures compliance with procedures for undertaking expenditure commitments, and participates in the process of endorsing purchase orders.
- S/he is the guardian of the bookkeeping, and in that capacity makes sure that cash balances and bank accounts are absolutely and permanently backed up by appropriate accounting documents.
4. ENSURE THE REPRESENTATION OF PUI IN THE JURISDICTION COVERED BY HIS/HER SITE
- S/he represents the association before local actors, whether they are official or not, and ensures that good relations are maintained with each of them in compliance with PUI’s principles of neutrality and independence in collaboration of the project manager and area coordinator.
- S/he may participate main coordination meetings when they take place, and participates actively.
- In the event of visits from Donors, S/he participates in the organization and implementation of the visit.
5. ENSURE REPORTING AND DISSEMINATION OF INFORMATION
- S/he sends the internal and external reports to his/her immediate supervisor while meeting the internal deadlines for endorsement (Situation Report, incident report)).
- S/he organizes the two-way dissemination of information: from the site to the field coordination and from the field coordination to the site (regular and ad-hoc Situation reporting).
- S/he attends internal coordination meetings and participates actively.
Number of people to manage and their position
- Direct management: 2
- Indirect management: 20