CRS CUSTOM JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Project Officer (MEAL)
Salary Grade: 7
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As a member of the MTSU team, you will monitor and report on all project monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) activities in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
To reflect local circumstances the Hiring Manager may modify this section by a small amount (10-15 per cent). If you have any concerns or questions, please contact HQ/Compensation.
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project MEAL activities as outlined in the Detailed Implementation Plan in line with CRS program quality principles, standards and MEAL policies, procedures, and practices; donor MEAL requirements; and industry good practices.
- Monitor and report any MEAL-related challenges and gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
- Lead the roll-out and implementation of the project’s feedback and response mechanism (FRM). Support actively seeking and responding to feedback from all members of targeted communities and other stakeholders as defined by the FRM.
- Support field-level project MEAL activities (including digital data collection) and assist partners in their efforts to collect and ensure timely analysis of project data per specified mechanisms and tools.
- Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare MEAL-related aspects of reports per established reporting schedule.
- Collect information on staff MEAL capacity needs and technical assistance needs of partner organizations and monitor MEAL capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Complete project documentation for assigned MEAL activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
- Support program learning and decision making by posing thoughtful questions, engaging with project data, reflecting upon and sharing with project management the information gathered from community members and partners.
- Assist the MTSU Program Manager in the DQC by identifying opportunities for MEAL learning and research, as well as implementing MEAL policy. Promote the sharing of effective techniques and knowledge gained to promote the agency's knowledge management agenda.
- High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in project support. Experience in the field of MEAL and for an NGO would be a plus.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
Full professional proficiency in English and Arabic required; Kurdish and other local languages (e.g., Turkmani, Assyrian) is a plus
Must be willing and able to travel up to 40%, Iraq to CRS Iraq field offices and project sites, as security allows. International travel as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
No supervisory responsibilities.
Key Working Relationships
MEAL Competencies (for CRS MEAL Program Staff)
Each staff member in this position is expected to have basic knowledge and ability and, with guidance, be able to apply the following competencies in common situations that present limited difficulties:
- Analysis and Critical Thinking
In addition, each staff member in this position is expected to have elementary understanding of and to demonstrate a willingness and potential to learn about:
- MEAL in Design
- Management in MEAL
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your CV as a PDF, other formats rather than PDF will consider corrupted and will lead to neglect application.
You can apply via the link below: