Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
• Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
• Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
• Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
• Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
• Ensure on-going training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
• Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
• Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
CONTEXT SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Work autonomously in the ER, identify patients in need of immediate care and manage treatment and stabilisation. Work according to MSF protocols and refer the patients according to necessity and referral criteria. Implement reasonable use of medication and examinations. Good communication with the other members of the team as well as with the MAM.
• Works in the OPD, examine and treat patients with acute and chronic diseases according to MSF protocols. Pass relevant information to the patients about health care, prevention of diseases, the rational use of the prescribed drugs and the harm uncontrolled use of drugs (especially antibiotics) can do.
• Female medical doctor: fully responsible for the maternity 24/7 when on shift. Responsible for the family planning department, as well as to manage normal pregnancies and deliveries, including antenatal and postnatal care. Deliver routine care to the new-born, if necessary perform neonatal resuscitation. Routine examinations after birth and assure timely administration of prophylaxis and vaccination. Detect and treat complicated cases and identify when a patient needs to be referred to secondary health care level, respecting the referral criteria and acting according to medical needs. Good communication with the nurses, midwifes and the MWAM.
• Take care of survivors of any kind of violence including sexual violence and provide consultation, examination, treatment, follow up. Explain and offer referral to our mental health department, as well as evaluate the need for protection and communicate this to the managers, always respecting strict confidentiality.
• Be familiar with the ATFC program, the specific protocols for this patient group, routine treatment and management of complications.
• Be familiar with the Iraqi national vaccination calendar and support the EPI team if necessary.
• Participate in the daily collection of epidemiological data, check for completeness and inform the managers about any irregularities.
• Available for the roster, communicate his/her availabilities in time and avoid any changes after the roster is organised. If nevertheless changes are necessary inform the MAM as soon as possible and help finding a solution respecting HR/administrative rules.
• Collaboration and good communication with the whole team, including the mental health department and IEC/CHW team.
• Actively detects things to improve at the PHCC. Constantly keep the medical knowledge and skills updated and propose/give trainings to the team in collaboration with the MAM.
Education: Medical Doctor diploma Desirable diploma in Tropical Medicine (For OCB & OCBA Tropical Medicine Is essential)
Experience: 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health , obs and gynae, paediatrics, A&E, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery.
Languages: Mission language essential. Local language desirable.
Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
Competencies: People Management, Commitment, Flexibility, Results, Teamwork.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must show their willingness by submitting an updated CV with diploma or professional card attached no later than the 01 March 2020 at 17:00 pm in the CV Box at the MSF Hospital or to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org Stating the job title in the subject line: ‘No03/2020 WOMEN POOL OF DWs MEDICAL DOCTORS– Qayyarah Project’
- ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
- FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.