Duty station: Erbil or home-based, with regular visits to project locations (Bartella, Bashiqa, Hamdaniya & Mosul)
Employment: Part-time (50%),
Duration of employment: Dec 2018 – Apr 2019, 5 months with possible extension.
Organization setting: The Peace Education Advisor reports directly to the Peace Education Project Manager and the Local Strategic Advisor.
Project purpose and role explanation
The GIZ-funded project Bridging Communities in Ninewa Governorate is implemented by Un ponte per.. (UPP) in Hamdaniya, Bashiqa, Bartella and Mosul; this intervention aims at fostering coexistence and increasing the local capacity for conflict transformation, facilitating the return of all IDPs to their areas of origin. This project is designed to produce two specific and complementary objectives:
- To set the basis of an Infrastructure for Peace among local communities, empowering teams of peace workers to design and launch sustainable peacebuilding programs;
- To improve access and quality of education for all communities and people with disabilities (PWD) with an integrated approach, which includes physical rehabilitation of schools and Peace Education.
Within the framework of the second objective, a Peace Education program will be set up, with support and active participation of school staff and of a local network of peace educators. The Peace Education Advisor will support the Peace Education Project Manager with the development and implementation of the Peace Education activities.
Specifically, the Peace Education Advisor will:
- Support the development and implementation of an introductory training to Peace Education for school managers
- Support the development and implementation of an in-depth training program on Peace Education for local educators
- Support the development of a local network of peace educators and share experiences, resources and material with this network
- Develop context-sensitive Peace Education kits
- Coach and support supervision of the peace educators during the project period with regard to the implementation and teaching of Peace Education in local schools
- Support the Peace Education Project Manager in identifying cooperation opportunities between the peace education and peacebuilding activities of the overall project.
- Support the organization and implementation of 2 peace festivals for secondary schools.
- Support the Peace Education Project Manager in the planning, monitoring and reporting of activities.
- Support networking and information-sharing with stakeholders and international Peace Education bodies and initiatives.
- Support to liaison unit for the approval of the material at MoE level and mediation in the relations with the school principals.
- Participate in trainings, meetings and events as requested
- Carry out any other task as requested
- Training curriculum for school managers
- Training curriculum for the peace educators
- Context-sensitive Peace Education Kits
- Monthly reports
- Final report
- Final assessment of the Peace Education program, including recommendations and suggestions for future projects.
Qualifications and skills
- Multiple years of experience in working in the education sector in Iraq
- Experience with Peace Education (preferred) AND/OR experience with peacebuilding, social cohesion, or other community activities promoting reconciliation
- Experience in preparing training curricula for staff in the education sector
- Experience in preparing and drafting reports
- Experience in preparing and implementing assessments
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power-Point
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Structured and organized approach
How to apply
Interested candidates are asked to send their CV and motivation letter by the 20th of December 2018, specifying “Peace Education Advisor” in the email subject to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by email and/or phone call.
Interview processes will start before the deadline and the position might be filled before the closing date.