The Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) was founded in 1998 in the United States as a professional society to provide networking, educational, cultural, and professional services to medical professionals of Syrian descent. SAMS Foundation, the charitable arm of SAMS, was launched in 2007. Since then, SAMS has become one of the most active medical relief organizations that is working on the front lines of crisis relief in Syria, neighboring countries, and beyond. Since 2011, SAMS has provided nearly 20 million medical services to those impacted by conflict, delivering over $207 million in humanitarian aid. SAMS has since implemented an integrated model of essential services that emphasizes priority needs, including the delivery of medical education, training, and financial support for physicians and other healthcare workers inside Syria and in neighboring countries. SAMS has established field hospitals, intensive care units, dental and primary care clinics, birth and newborn care facilities, mobile medical units, and dialysis centers. Additionally, SAMS has provided mental health and psychosocial support as well as organized specialized medical missions to Syria’s neighboring countries and beyond. In 2017, SAMS established operations in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI), and seeks to expand its presence as a valuable health actor, in response to unmet needs among refugees, IDPs, and host communities in both KRI and Federal Iraq.
SCOPE OF WORK
SAMS seeks a dedicated humanitarian professional with substantial experience in program and business development with NGOs in Iraq for a three-month consultancy, working closely with programs and operations staff at SAMS Headquarters and KRI officers. The primary focus of this consultancy will be to develop health and mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) programs, while building relationships with donors/NGO partners, in order to obtain funding for implementation of such programs.
- Support development of relevant, impactful, and cost-effective health and/or MHPSS programs for refugees, IDPs, and host communities in health and/or MHPSS, working closely with technical and program staff in SAMS KRI and Headquarters offices to develop
- Coordinate mapping and relationship-building efforts with institutional donors, UN agencies, and NGO/CBO partners, with the aim of securing grant funding
- Lead in-country proposal development for KRI/Federal Iraq and Northeast Syria, with support from the KRI Health and MEAL Coordinators, working closely with the HQ-based Senior Program Officer, Program and Business Development Manager, and Director of Programs
- Represent SAMS in bilateral and multilateral meetings with donors, local government, and NGO/CBO partners related to refugees, IDPs, and returnees health and cross-sectoral issues in Iraq and expansion of SAMS services in this field.
COMPENSATION, TRAVEL, AND SUPPLIES/EQUIPMENT
The Consultant shall be compensated on a monthly basis, at a fixed rate previously agreed with SAMS. No per diem or lodging is offered and the Consultant is responsible for providing computer, internet connection, and phone services at their own expense. SAMS will provide a SAMS email address which shall be used for all communications related to this consultancy, as well as local transportation (car/driver) to support activities (donor/partner meetings, site visits, assessments, etc.).
- Position available to Iraqi or Syrian nationals based in Erbil or Dohuk; Syrian nationals must be authorized to work in Iraq.
- Bachelors and/or Masters degree in relevant field is preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience in proposal development (task delegation, proposal writing, donor compliance, etc.)
- Minimum 5 years experience of working directly with donors such as: USAID, BPRM, EU/ECHO, FCDO, UN Agencies, and upstream NGO partners In Iraq and Northeast Syria
- Extensive knowledge of donor and partner landscape in Iraq and Northeast Syria
- Experience of developing health, MHPSS and/or education programs is preferred
- Problem-solver and creative thinker, with proven ability to work as part of a team to achieve desired results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with fluency in verbal and written English and Arabic; knowledge of Kurdish language preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
To apply, please submit CV, writing sample, and desired compensation to email@example.com.