GOAL Iraq Programme
Ninewa / Sinjar / Hamdania
15 March 2020
Project Team Leader
General Description of the Programme
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency that works with poor and vulnerable communities to ensure that they have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate food, shelter, water and sanitation, healthcare, education and economic opportunities. GOAL is a key Irish player in humanitarian emergency response and works to find lasting solutions to change the root causes of poverty and vulnerability. Throughout our history, GOAL has worked in over 60 countries and responded to almost every major humanitarian disaster since our inception. We are currently operational in 13 countries globally.
GOAL has supported conflict-affected populations in Iraq since 2015. Registered in both Baghdad and the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI), our Country Office is in Dohuk, with a sub-office in Mosul. The team implement programmes directly and via local partners. We focus on developing sustainable livelihoods and increasing household and community resilience. Specifically, GOAL aims to support sustainable, inclusive and stabilising change in Iraq by stimulating enterprise growth and agriculture production.
As Iraq moves towards a post-conflict environment, communities are increasingly focused on recovery, reconstruction and rehabilitation alongside building resilience. GOAL supports stabilisation through working with refugees, internally displaced persons (IDPs) and host communities to build sustainable livelihoods and improve food security. With countrywide registration and national partners, GOAL is also well positioned to respond to urgent needs while Iraq remains susceptible to shocks.
Overview of the role
The Project Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Team Leader. The project officer will coordinate with the local community and different stakeholders in implementing livelihood recovery through assessment, business skill trainings and provision of small grants as well as coordinating capacity building of public institutions.
- Liaising with various stakeholders relevant for the project, improve communication with them and involve relevant stakeholders to the project activities.
- Lead participation of the community by mobilizing the community into the project activities.
- Support in conducting Rapid Market Assessments in Hamdania and Sinjar and dissemination of the findings to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that the Community Complaints and Response Mechanism is in place and working.
- Support in provision of business skills training to the selected beneficiaries.
- Support in provision of grants to the selected beneficiaries after completion of their training.
- Conduct post distribution monitoring of grants.
- Support coordination with Chamber of Commerce for their capacity assessment.
- Support need assessment and gap analysis for Chamber of Commerce.
- Support provision of Capacity Building Training to Chamber of Commerce.
- Support coordination with Extension Directorate for their capacity assessment.
- Support need assessment and gap analysis for Extension Directorate.
- Support provision of Capacity Building Training to Extension Directorate.
- Conduct Impact assessment of the project.
- Compile reports, assessments and submission as required by the team leader.
- Support preparation of reports to be submitted to the donor, including best practices, success stories, project feedback, stakeholder accountability.
- Support the external evaluation of the project.
- Ensure all guidelines, principles and policies of GOAL and the donor are followed during project implementation.
- Manage the project assistants through-out the project cycle.
- Undertake other activities as advised by the team leader.
- Provide regular progress reports to the Team Leader.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to GOAL and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- University degree in a related field.
- Must have experience working in livelihood programming and /or employment generation.
- Previous experience in vocational or business trainings and / or provision of grants and / or small business development.
- Working with Governmental Institutions would be an added advantage.
- Working with consultants would be a plus.
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Must be fluent in Arabic.
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel to Dohuk as required.
Kindly, submit your resume and cover letter via link below:
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.