Position: Psycho-Social Support (PSS) Worker
Reports to: Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support (MHPSS) Officer
Duty station: The post holder will be based in Baa'j with daily field visit in projects locations (Ninewa),
All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
The PSS Worker implements structured and unstructured psycho-social support activities and trainings for beneficiary groups.
- Conduct a variety of structured and unstructured activities (recreational, psycho-social and informal skills training) for beneficiaries, catering to the various psycho-social needs and interests of different beneficiary groups (adults, adolescents, children);
- Prepare for structured psycho-social support activities by carefully reading the PSS SOPs and Curriculum Manuals and preparing all required material and equipment in advance;
- Conduct recreational activities with children and adults such as sports activities, arts and crafts, dance music, drama etc;
- Support community resource persons in the implementation of vocational and skill trainings;
- Facilitate the participation of all segments of the target population in the planned activities ensuring the inclusion of the most vulnerable groups;
- Ensure that during all activities proper attention is paid to specific emotional and physical needs;
- Monitor beneficiaries’ progress during psychosocial support activities and identify persons with unusual changes in behavior or other signs of psychosocial distress for referral to a Case Worker or Psychologist;
- Carry out all tasks respecting key protection principles including but not limited to: do no harm, non-discrimination, confidentiality and accountability;
- Conduct focus group discussions and other participatory activities to engage community members in protection activities and to better understand their needs and interests;
- Engage community volunteers in planned activities held at the community center according to a planned activity schedule;
- Maintain daily attendance registers and monthly inventory sheets for each activity conducted;
- Ensure a safe, friendly and non-discriminatory environment is upheld during all activities;
- Participate in meetings and trainings in and outside the centers and/or in INTERSOS offices when requested;
- Complete additional tasks assigned by Supervisor.
Education and professional experience:
- University Degree in a related field (Social Work, Psychology, etc);
- Two years relevant work experience;
- Strong knowledge of psycho-social programming in the humanitarian context.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel)
- Confidentiality, respect and non-discriminatory attitude
- Strong technical knowledge in protection and psycho-social support
- Ability to train people, facilitate trainings and build participants’ knowledge and skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to show empathy
- Ability to work under pressure
- Fluency in Arabic and Kurdish (written and spoken)
- Working knowledge in English (written and spoken)
- Applicants may submit their CVs to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please mention the vacancy title: (Psycho-Social Support (PSS) Worker - Baa'j) in subject box of your email.
- Email without vacancy title will not be considered.
- Email after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- INTERSOS will review application on rolling bases, so the vacancy maybe will filled before deadline.
INTERSOS will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, INTERSOS has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
INTERSOS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.