About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has provided critical assistance in Iraq to some of the country’s most vulnerable populations during a period of tremendous upheaval. Operational in Iraq since 2003 – and with a current annual budget of almost USD $75 million from programs funded by governmental and intergovernmental agencies–the country team is in the midst of a sustained emergency response while simultaneously engaging in long-term development programming. We are now searching for an experienced professional to lead the implementation of the GIZ-funded Building Resilience Against Violent Extremism (BRAVE) in Sinjar.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps’ proposed eight-month project BRAVE aims to strengthen Iraqi youth in Sinjar’s sense of belonging and understanding of other groups within their communities, making them resilient to narratives of extremist groups. The key activities of this project include:
- Iraqi youth have increased capacity for civic engagement, community mobilization and preventing violent extremism (PVE) and lead intergroup dialogue sessions within their communities to discuss grievances, build trust and reduce stigmatization of other groups.
- The creation and execution of youth led community campaigns aimed at instilling a sense of worth, fostering intergroup trust and community belonging for participating youth.
- Local organization Mercy Hands (MH) has improved capacity to address the push and pull factors of youth participating in extremist activities.
For this proposed project, Mercy Corps expects to leverage existing resources and relationships with key stakeholders and reactivate trained participants from previous social cohesion program to build on the progress Mercy Corps and its partners have made since 2017.
The Senior Program Officer will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of the activities under BRAVE, coordinating with the local partner with technical support from the Senior Program Manager. The Senior Program Officer will be expected do this while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps program management standards.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Supervise the BRAVE field staff under Mercy Hands Day by day in Sinuni sub - district and center of Sinjar district, ensuring all team members abide by a clearly delineated work plan that guides all team members each week, under the supervision of the Senior Program Manager.
- Regular site visits to the Sinuni sub - district and center of Sinjar district to support MC staff in program implementations
- Work together with local government to facilitate and coordinate the program activities implementations
- Submit monthly and weekly activities progress report of program implementation to Senior Program Manager
- Support the Senior Program Manager in the documentation process for all program activities and correspondence files
- Work closely with Senior Program Manager and MEL team to write the donor report(s)
- Maintain control of budget, budget vs. actuals and forecasting as per donor flexibility, in close partnership with Finance team.
- Prepare additional reports/presentations/statistics as needed.
- Attend project related meetings and trainings.
- Abide by all security protocols.
- Disseminate and document success stories of program
- Conduct him/herself professionally and in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Any other duties as assigned as directed by the Senior Program Manager.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Accountable to Position Description, MC HR Manual, and Code of Conduct Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Supervise field monitors in Sinuni sub - district and center of Sinjar from our local partner Mercy Hands
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Senior Program Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: MEL Unit, Program staff, local partner’s staff, Local Peace Committee, field-based logistics and finance teams, and other MC team members.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Education / Technical Training Certificate or a relevant field required
- At least 3 years of work experience with an INGO / local NGO. Experience in conflict management/social cohesion programs highly preferred.
- Prior experience of supporting training / capacity building for youth / youth programs is highly desirable;
- Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including the private sector, local authorities and partners in complex environments.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills
- Computer skills – Word and Excel desired.
- Language skills – Arabic, English desired.
- Ability to work and interact with a diverse staff from different ethnicities and backgrounds.
- Ability to conduct oneself with sensitivity and respect toward others.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES:
Successful candidates should meet the education and experience requirements in the position descriptions for the vacant positions.
S/he must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in difficult, stressful environments and follow Mercy Corps procedures. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace.
Interested candidates should submit their CVs to the email address email@example.com before the deadline indicated below.
Please indicate on the subject of the email the title of the position you are applying for, for full position description for the noted posts, please visit websites NCCI and F-Job.
ALL APPLICATIONS/ CVS SHOULD BE RECEIVED BY November 23th, 2021 AT 4:00 PM
Potential candidates for the post will be contacted for an interview and processed according to Mercy Corps Human Resources policies and procedures. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for potential interview.
Any documents submitted will remain with Mercy Corps and will not be returned to candidates. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. Females are highly encouraged to apply.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply for this position. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global Impact.
Mercy Corps Iraq offers a variety of arrangements that enable women to excel in their careers. Mercy Corps Iraq ensures a safe and inclusive working environment for women and men through field security training and measures to provide secure working arrangements on-site and in the office.