Job Title: Social Cohesion Project Officer
Reports to: Social Cohesion Senior Project Officer
Department: Shared Future
Salary Grade: 7
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS Iraq is supporting conflict-affected people to live in dignity through the provision of critical relief items, upgrades to shelter conditions and improved access to water and sanitation facilities, educational and psychosocial (PSS) support for children, and livelihoods support. Through the Shared Future project, CRS Iraq’s social cohesion component seeks to build mutual understanding, tolerance and trust among religious and ethnic groups in seven project locations in Ninewa: Bartella, Bashiqa, Qaraqosh, Telkeif, Telskuf, Nimrod and Wanna.
As a member of the social cohesion project team, the Project Officer (PO) will provide training and support to youth and community leaders in the Ninewa Plains to foster social cohesion. Under guidance and supervision of the Social Cohesion Senior Project Officer, the PO will work closely with field assistants and community mobilizers to identify, select, and support project participants as they develop skills, dialogue, and projects within their community. The PO will work closely with CRS’ partner Caritas Iraq and will coordinate with other partners and stakeholders. The PO will have a detailed understanding of the local dynamics in the Ninewa Plains and will leverage this awareness to support impactful programming. The PO will monitor and report on all project activities in support of CRS’ work serving the poor and vulnerable to ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those CRS serves.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities in one or more project locations, as outlined in the detailed implementation plan, in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good
- Manage the development, progress, and implementation of participant-driven community projects across the Ninewa
- Facilitate trainings and workshops on life skills, conflict dynamics, interethnic and interfaith dialogue with youth and community leaders from various tribal, religious, and/or ethnic
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising
- Support with reviewing, editing and translation of social cohesion curricula and resources, standard operating procedures, and other project documents, as
- Effectively manage talent and supervise field assistant and/or community-based mobilizers in project locations. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, contribute to the recruitment process of project staff, and complete performance management for direct
- Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project
- Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare reports per established reporting
- Provide inputs for the timely preparation of high-quality donor reports, quarterly performance indicator tracking tables, baseline and final evaluation reports, as well as other reports, as needed/required by the local government, donors, the region or
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in project support; at least 1 year of experience working on community-level social issues for an NGO
- Experience training and facilitating workshops on sensitive topics
- Experience in participatory action planning, community-based project implementation, and community engagement
- Previous experience working on peacebuilding/social cohesion in Ninewa will be considered an advantage
- Additional education may substitute for some experience
Required Languages – Spoken and written English and Arabic fluency is required. Knowledge of Assyrian, Shabaki, Turkmen or Kurdish is a plus
Travel – The position is based in Mosul with up to 50% travel in Ninewa, as feasible. Preference will be given to candidates already based in Mosul. Candidates from other cities are welcome to apply but will be expected to work from CRS’ office in Mosul in addition to attending field activities across Ninewa.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Experience engaging with local partner organizations
- Experience with inter-ethnic/inter-faith dialogue or initiatives
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, MS Teams) as well as Zoom
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Up to one field assistant and/or up to four community-based mobilizers located in the Ninewa Plains
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Social Cohesion Senior Project Officer; Shared Future Project Director; Peacebuilding Program Manager; Social Cohesion Project Manager; Shared Future MEAL Manager; Head of Programming; Project Officers; Field Assistants; Project Assistants; Procurement and Finance staff
- External: Caritas Iraq, project partners; other operational partners and colleague organizations; local government; UN agencies and relevant sector leads
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your CV as a PDF, other formats rather than PDF will consider corrupted and will lead to neglect application.
You can apply via the link below: