Oxfam’s programme has been established in 2014 in response to the ISIS conflict in Iraq. Oxfam implemented activities during the past few years was built around the delivery of 3 main areas: A) Lifesaving humanitarian assistance b) Recovery assistance, and C) Promotion of Women Rights.
- Lifesaving humanitarian assistance: to newly displaced populations residing in camps or host communities. The bulk of this work was done around the Mosul Operation with activities implemented in the governorates of Kirkuk, Diyala, Salah Al Din and Ninewa. Activities included: Establishment/rehabilitation of safe water (boreholes, repair of infrastructure); Emergency water supply (distribution of water through trucking and bottled water); Setting up water tanks and networks in camps; Distribution of hygiene items; construction of latrines; Cash for Work opportunities inside the camps to allow construction work and solid waste management; and Distribution of emergency winterisation kits.
- Recovery assistance: to returnees, local host communities and IDPs to recover from the post-conflict and to cope with protracted displacement in Anbar, Kirkuk, Diyala and Salah Al din. The main activities implemented under these areas of work include: Rehabilitation of water infrastructure; Supporting local authorities to rehabilitate essential public services (schools and hospitals); Grants to returnees to recover damaged businesses; Provision of livestock to support farmers; Cash for Work opportunities contributing to income for vulnerable families and supporting rehabilitation of infrastructure of public interest (irrigation canals, main roads).
- Promotion of Women Rights: through contributing to the implementation of the National Plan for 1325 UN Resolution, and economic empowerment of women through provision of training and grants to establish/rehabilitate businesses.
In order to serve these three objectives, Oxfam work aimed to integrate the following key sectors together for every intervention in a given location:
- Water Sanitation and Hygiene
- Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods
- Non-food-Items and Shelter
- Protection of lives and rights of civilians
- Gender Justice
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Advocacy and Media work
To support conflicted-affected populations access appropriate and equitable assistance that meets humanitarian needs and reduces underlying drivers of conflict at all levels.
To support and strengthen the delivery of a quality programme and accountability mechanisms both at partners and Oxfam levels.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
MEAL System development and implementation:
- Supports the development and updating of relevant MEAL frameworks, working closely with project teams in all field offices, Program manager and MEAL Coordinator
- Working closely with Program Manager and MEAL Co-ordinator, develops area-based MEAL plans and review/update on regular basis, in close coordination with project teams and Oxfam’s partners.
- Works with the field project team in implementing MEAL frameworks, processes and tools, ensuring quality and consistency with Oxfam standards
Programme monitoring, Information management and Reporting:
- Develops/improves/updates tools for data collection, analysis and processing
- Field data collection and data management, including:
- Recruitment and training of data collectors
- Carrying out and supervising data collection (Focus group discussions, post-distribution monitoring, surveys, observations etc.) and data entry.
- Analyses quantitative and qualitative data, drafts reports presenting the results of the analysis, and shares the findings in an appropriate format.
- Reports to / alerts the project team on regular basis on any anticipated project issues, risks and any emerging opportunities and threats to the project implementation, related to this role.
- Supports in the establishment and rolling out of an improved beneficiary database system
- Supports the Program manager and MEAL Co-ordinator to produce clear and quality reports that demonstrate accountability and learning.
- Ensures all MEAL-related data and files are properly organized and stored
Data gathering and information management
- Prepare clear data collection plans in discussion with the PM, MEAL / PQ and technical teams and lead on all field data collection exercises, data management and analysis
- Analyse the data, together with the project team, and share them in the required format
- Contribute in timely and quality reporting in all projects in targeted locations
- Shares feedback and complaints with field teams and track follow-up.
- Assisting the project team in setting up and strengthening the accountability mechanism in the areas of operations
Capacity building for Oxfam and Partner staff:
- Undertakes periodic monitoring and technical support visits to partners to assess progress against agreed MEAL system and recommend corrective actions as appropriate.
- Works closely with partner MEAL staff or focal points in field offices and provide support as appropriate
- Provide training to partners in all field offices on accountability and support them in setting up own mechanisms
- Provide regular technical backstopping to the team in field offices
- Supporting Program manager and MEAL Coordinator in developing a capacity enhancement plan for the implementing partners
- Extending support to partners for establishing and setting-up a MEAL system in the project areas
Evaluation, Review, and Learning:
- Share relevant MEAL findings with projects teams in an appropriate format and follow-up their implementation.
- Support the MEAL Coordinator in the design and management of evaluations, including: the coordination of field-based data collection activities, review of evaluations reports, sharing of evaluation findings and recommendations with intended audiences.
- Support the implementation of evaluation recommendations at field level
- Assist the project team and partners in documenting lessons learnt
- Sharing the regular monitoring report with the programme team with recommendations and action plans
- Collecting best practices, case studies which demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes over the period.
- Organize/support field-based reviews and learning events
- Facilitating programme team for the occasional programme support
- Supporting the programme in conducting regular periodic learning reviews to capture the best practice and lesson learned
Coordination and Networking:
- Participate in and contribute to relevant inter-agency efforts at field level to agree and develop coordinated / joint M&E and accountability frameworks and mechanisms
- Attend relevant field level sectoral coordination meetings to identify opportunities for integration of data collection activities, harmonization, secondary information sources etc.
To take up any other responsibility that may be assigned by the line manager
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree in social sciences, business administration or equivalent degree in related field
- Minimum 2-3 years working experience in similar role and working with NGOs/INGOs/UN
- Experience of gathering, analysing and presenting quantitative and qualitative data and report writing
- Good communication skills in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Proven ability to work effectively with others - including in multicultural team – and strong interpersonal skills
- Proven knowledge of computerised systems; high degree of computer literacy and word processing and spreadsheet/Excel skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in sometimes difficult circumstance, and to work with diverse teams
- Willingness and ability to travel as and when necessary and willingness to work long hours when and where needed
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Possesses initiative, patience, tact, and able to work with minimum supervision
- Able to work under pressure and in insecure areas.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
Behavioural competencies (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
Interested candidates should submit a resume containing their contact details and experiences to the following email
- Application after the deadline is not considered.
- Application only should be WORD-PDF format only.
- Applications without ‘’subject line ‘’ will not be considered ' MEAL Officer '
- The shortlisting will be based on a rolling basis.
- Please Rename your CV with your name and date of application.
- Females are encouraged to apply.