Mission East, founded in Denmark in 1991, is an international humanitarian and development organization undertaking disaster relief and development programmes in Asia. In response to the recent IDP crisis, Mission East re-established its presence in Iraq in September 2014 in order to provide emergency assistance for displaced people. Our current programme in Iraq focuses on psychosocial support, shelter, WASH, and livelihood components in Nineveh and Kirkuk Governorates.
As a part of Mission East’s efforts in Iraq for the humanitarian response, recovery and capacity building of its implementing partners, local government officials and other stakeholders working in the area, ME Iraq Country Program is planning to hire a consultant for three weeks (15 working days) in Erbil and Duhok on the methodologies and tools of Rapid Needs Assessment. To facilitate the workshop and also to provide practical tools that can be used immediately in the aftermath of the disaster, ME Iraq Program is seeking a consultant, who can facilitate the event.
Purpose of this Consultancy:
The purpose of this consultancy is to build the capacity of Mission East program staff, partner and government staff on the methodologies and tools to conducting Rapid Needs Assessments in the aftermath of the disaster with standard methodologies and tools required for protection, WASH, Shelter, and Livelihoods.
- At the end of the consultancy, participants will have enhanced knowledge and skills to conduct rapid need assessment with standard methodologies and tools required for Protection, WASH, Shelter, and Livelihood
- Training participants will have a thorough knowledge of the cluster approach for the rapid need assessment in the sectors mentioned above
- Mission East Management and staff are able to use tools developed by the consultant while conducting a rapid need assessment
- Mission East will have ready to use emergency need assessment guideline and tools in place
Proposed methodology to achieve the expected outcomes:
- Revision of existing global, regional and country specific secondary literature to capture current practices, methodologies, and tools
- Sharing the document beforehand with ME to develop a common understanding about the methodologies and tools to be used in the training and aftermath
- Training method: a combination of lecture, group work, and role-play
- Pre and post-training test
Expectations from the consultant: Preparation of detail work plan for the 3 weeks of consultancy that should be submitted before the consultancy, this plan should include:
- Understanding the context, Mission East and Mission East’s partners (local NGOs and government entities)
- Finalizing training material for the 2 Day workshop for Mission East partners (Government and local partners)
- Conducting the workshop for the government – 2 Days
- Drafting the “Mission East Rapid Needs Assessment Guidelines”
- Training to Mission East staff on conducting rapid needs assessment following the agreed guidelines 2 Days.
- During the time of consultancy period, abide with ME Code of Conduct, Protection Policies and others as agreed with ME
- Maintaining confidentiality of the discussions in this consultancy
- Follow the appropriate communication channel during the consultancy period
- The consultant must ensure that the participants understand the concepts and are able to apply what they are learning through simulation role-plays, group work, discussions and feedback sessions.
- Any other tasks assigned by Mission East related to this consultancy.
Required qualifications and skills:
- The consultant should hold an undergraduate and/or graduate Degree in Humanitarian Assistant, in field Disaster Risk Reduction and Development Management or any other related field.
- The consultant should have proven experience in conducting Rapid Needs Assessment.
- The Consultant should have proven experience in training government and other humanitarian actors in Iraq or the Middle East.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in humanitarian or development work.
- Facilitation skills and experience in giving training in humanitarian context for more than 3 years.
- Strong commitment to quality, accountability and people management.
- Must be able to multi-task, be detail-oriented, be organized and have excellent communication skills.
- The consultant must be able to structure and communicate ideas, using
- visual aids. The consultant must be able to adapt the workshop material to suit their context and participants’ capacity.
- The consultant should also develop her/his own presentations.
- The consultant should be able to manage activities, elicit contributions from participants through various means as well as learn while they train.
Qualified Candidates should submit Cover Letters with their CV's in English, a fully developed work plan, and the budget requested for this consultancy on firstname.lastname@example.org with indicating the " Consultant (ME/EBL/038/012020) " in the subject line of the email no later than January 28th, 2020. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Due to the urgency, Mission East reserves the right to recruit any suitable candidates before the above-mentioned deadline.
Mission East is an equal opportunity employer.