The Advocacy Officer is responsible for the planning of advocacy activities by WfWI-Iraq including WfWI’s Change Agent Program of grassroots leadership and advocacy training. The Advocacy Trainer will oversee advocacy work and activities of change agent including scheduling, implementing and reporting of advocacy activities.
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Develop the schedule and lesson plans for the 6-month training of Change Agents and share with supervisor.
- Implement the training methodology and develop new exercises for the classroom, as needed.
- Gauge progress and retention of participants and report any issues to supervisor.
- Support the Trainers and Change Agents to develop action plans for addressing key advocacy issues in their communities.
- Follow-up on action plan implementation and provide guidance and coaching to Change Agents.
- Support in launching advocacy events like the 16 Days of Activism, graduations and International Women’s Day.
- Organise weekly or bi-weekly meeting with Trainers and Change Agents which will be to support peer-to-peer learning and bring together Change Agents from across different communities, and for organizational review and learning of the program.
- Work with the Supervisor to review and adapt the implementation of the Change Agent Program on an ongoing basis, based on learnings from implementation and feedback from Change Agents curriculum.
- With Trainers identify opportunities for Change Agents to partner to advance their advocacy plans, for example with participants of WfWI’s Men’s Engagement Program and other partners (including in community level advocacy activities outlined below).
- Manage relationships with partners to support advocacy activities that seek to affect change at the community level.
- Collaborate with partners to identify opportunities for joint advocacy and ensure the inclusion of specific and measurable objectives which focus on the priority areas identified by Change Agents in their advocacy action plans (including violence against women and women’s economic power, as well as other issues impacting marginalized women in Iraq.
- Document Change Agent activities, successes, and challenges (including case studies) for donor reports and communications materials.
- Submit weekly progress reports to supervisor.
- Adhere to WfWI’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policies and report concerns and to the organizational values Empowerment, Integrity, Respect, Resilience.
- Disclaimer: The duties, responsibilities and activities of this job description may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Social Studies or any relevant field.
- Years of experience: 3-4 years of work experience in relevant fields, preferably within INGOs sector and at least 1 year at a supervisory level.
- Demonstrated experience in training adults and adult learning methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience in grassroots community mobilization and advocacy.
- Good inter-personal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Good communication skills and ability to build rapport with communities and participants.
- Good level of knowledge and understanding of the barriers to women’s rights and empowerment in Iraq
- Must be attuned to the particular situation and needs of the women in the program so as to give proper advice.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, and under pressure.
- Ability to have flexible work schedule which may include early mornings, evenings and weekends. May be required to occasionally work beyond normally scheduled hours.
- Ability and willingness to travel around the country as required.
- High level of fluency in English, Kurdish, Arabic (speaking, reading, writing).
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel, Power Point and email applications.
- Commitment to and respect for Women for Women International’s mission and values.
*This position will be working directly with female participants/beneficiaries, so female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates must submit an updated CV to:firstname.lastname@example.org with mentioning "Advocacy Officer" in the Subject line.
Only motivated applications that meet the required qualifications will be contacted.
Application deadline is: September 28, 2022
* CV's shared via links or sent with the wrong subject lines will not be considered.