Welthungerhilfe (www.welthungerhilfe.de) is one of the large and respected private organisations in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. It carries out projects in 39 countries and campaigns for fairer cooperation with developing countries. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application for the position of
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration until June 30, 2020. The place of work will be Snuny-Nineveh, in Iraq.
To improve living standards of project beneficiaries (IDPs and host communities) through the development of sustainable agriculture and value chain creation, and to increase the knowledge of DoA staff on livelihoods and agricultural techniques.
Responsibilities of the Agronomist
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Management Officer the Agronomist is responsible for the implementation of all livelihood-related activities, of the project.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
Support implementation of project related activities in the field:
- Supervise data surveys in the target regions, taking into account the project-specific target groups;
- Plan, implement and coordinate activities on livelihoods/ agriculture defined in project proposal;
- Develop individual/community based agricultural concepts, innovative ideas and opportunities to further support the rural population to improve their living- and income conditions by implementing improved production, post-harvest, marketing approaches, taking into account and assessing existing practices;
- Prepare weekly/monthly activities and report on them to the line manager;
- Introduction/promotion village based peer educator (lead farmers) systems where applicable;
- Plan, organise and conduct livelihood related training activities (workshops, seminars, training courses);
- Initiate demonstrations, exchange visits among producer groups at project level;
- Contribute relevant details to reports to the country office as well as to donors;
Administrative and representative tasks related to the position:
- Make sure that local decision-makers are informed/ involved in project activities and maintain a cooperative contact with officials;
- Cooperate with other NGOs working in the same geographical area and on livelihoods/ agriculture.
- Prepares field data for transfer to the internal M & E system to enable the project a timely and quality/quantity related documentation of project progress. This includes comprehensive field data, pictures, as well as success stories.
- Assist Head of Project, short term consultants and visitors during field trips
- Any other additional responsibility, in co-ordination and in agreement with the supervisor
- Inform the Head of Project about irregularities immediately
- Regular data savings of all job related programmes on an external IT source
In addition to the above related responsibilities, the Agronomist may be asked to carry out other duties as requested by the Senior Project Management Officer and/or by the Head of Project.
The position is based in Sinuni but will require very frequent travels to the project areas (in the Governorate of Nineveh), and potentially Occoational travel to Dohuk and Erbil.
- Relevant degree and one year of relevant experience, plus fluency in English/ Kurdish/ Arabic are the standard requirements posted for all job vacancies.
WHH considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The applicants must be sure that they are legally authorized to work in Zummar The short-listed candidates will be asked a copy of their working permit/residency card.
The applicants should submit a cover letter and CV indicating their match to the above qualifications and requirements in line with the description of responsibilities to the following
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.