The Area Coordinator (Head of Operations) will work in direct collaboration with the mission personnel and interface directly with the Country Representative (Director), as appropriate for programme strategy, reporting and administration. As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) (s)he will have direct access to confidential information, such as the general strategy of Tdh in Iraq, including programming objectives in the field, financial details, and security guidelines.
(S)he ensures project teams in the area of responsibility are facilitated to carry out the interventions as planned, budgets allocations and intervention targets are met, context is monitored, and beneficiary & staff security is always ensured. (S)he ensures coordination between support and implementation teams as well as external coordination with authorities, communities and civil society. (S)he ensures the implementation of the Tdh strategy in the location, the visibility of Tdh activities and upholds the organizations values.
The context of ongoing conflict presents inherent risks. A professional sense of security, confidentiality and proper representation is paramount.
Terre des hommes Foundation – Helping children worldwide (Tdh), is the leading Swiss foundation for children’s aid, with its headquarters in Lausanne, and registered in Iraq with the No 2178598. Tdh aims to create a positive impact on children's lives in almost 40 countries around the world, through its Health, Access to Justice, Migration and Child Protection transversal programmes.
Tdh started its operations in Iraq in December 2014, responding to needs of children and youth between the age group of 9-22 years, affected by the ISIL -driven crisis of 2014-2017 working across 12 districts within 5 governorates (Anbar, Kirkuk, Ninewa, Baghdad & Salah al-Din), providing emergency assistance in child protection, juvenile justice, education and WASH.
In the long-term, through its Multi-year Country Strategy 2022 – 2024 and its long term Vision for the Country Programme, Tdh plans to reinforce and expand interventions due to the persistent overwhelming needs of children, youth and families through a NEXUS approach, responding to the protracted humanitarian needs while contributing to achieving durable solutions for the most vulnerable and at-risk population groups in the sectors of Child Protection, Education, WASH and Access to Justice for children, youth and women.
Tdh is currently implementing a 7,5 Million CHF rehabilitation and development program across the country through its bases and offices in Baghdad, Ninewa, Salah al-Din and Kirkuk governorates, working alongside and in collaboration with local partners and national authorities. The main donors are USG, UNOCHA, ECHO, SDC, GIZ, UNICEF and CDC. The main coordination office is in Erbil with a multi-cultural, very experienced, and highly motivated team providing support, technical expertise and ensuring accountability, while working closely with the collaborators in the Regional office in Amman, Jordan and the Head Quarters (HQ) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The Area Coordinator has the following responsibilities:
· Commits to comply with the safeguarding policies.
· Undertakes to ensure full implementation of the safeguarding system in the base, including participation in the annual audit, reviews and updates of the action plan.
· Undertakes to inform the CR and/or the Safeguarding Focal Point and to address allegations or incidents related to the Safeguarding System.
Programme Strategy and planning
· Manages programming aspects of area operations in line with Tdh and donors’ standards.
· In collaboration with the HoP, designs strategies and objectives for effective programs in line with the delegation strategy.
· Participate in the development and review of the strategy for Tdh in Iraq.
· Conduct regular analyses of stakeholder analysis in the area of responsibility, updates it regularly and keep the Senior Management Team (SMT) always informed.
· Proactively identify and engage in networking and partnership activities with national and international partners in the area of operation.
· Actively contribute to the development of the delegation's fundraising strategy and periodically conduct donor mapping and analysis in their area of operation.
· Conduct multi-sectoral assessments in their area in coordination with the technical coordinator and the Q&A department and update it periodically (quarterly).
Representation & Reporting
· Ensure active presence of Tdh in relevant humanitarian and development coordination meetings at national and local levels (general and sectoral) and ensure that data flow and feedback with the CR, SMT and with other colleagues as appropriate, is assured.
· Ensure overall coordination of Tdh with UN agencies and the government, including information sharing and reporting in the area of operation.
· In coordination with the CR, ensures that all formalities required by the government are properly prepared, kept up to date, and submitted on time.
· Ensures the representation towards stakeholders in their aera
· Act as the local Tdh focal point for monitoring visits and local issues raised by donors.
· Produce a monthly report according to the format in Iraq and submit it to the CR.
· Using the field perspective, integrate the assessment of the context of his/her area in reports and communications; identify geopolitical trends and indicators that may impact on programme activities.
· Coordinate, prepare and prepare institutional donor reports for submission to the CR.
· Ensure timely submission of monthly progress reports by Project Managers.
Liaising with national authorities
· Is aware of all necessary administrative procedures and informs the CR and the SMT
· In collaboration with the CR, develops and implements the measures to be taken and the procedure to be followed
· Represents Tdh in all ABCs of the area (Northern Iraq) and actively participates in all data sharing, share the updates with SMT, proposes ideas to SMT for Tdh strategy on the Durable Solution PoA linkage of Tdh interventions.
· Establish and maintain communication and relationship with the local government authorities as well as community leaders.
· Ensure all the relevant validations are well coordinated for the approvals that includes but not limited to (all Tdh personnel and goods movement validations, donor monitoring mission (movements and access).
· Coordinate the obtaining all the relevant validations from relevant government departments for Tdh activities.
· Ensures the follow-up and continuity of the procedures and informs the CR regularly
· Organises, in collaboration with the CR, the agenda of the official visits of the CR to the various authorities
· Represents the CR on request
· Follows up with the lawyer/other external consultants on administrative matters when assigned by the CR, including in obtaining governmental authorisations, submission of annual financial reports and tax authorisations.
· Respect the Tdh security procedures in Iraq and check with the logistician that he is prepared to comply with them.
· Ensure, in coordination with the Security Manager and with the support of the CR, that all staff or visitors are aware of and comply with Tdh security procedures.
· Receive primary security guidance from the Security Manager and various other sources (inter-agency coordination, INGOs, staff, beneficiaries) and share relevant information with the rest of the team in Iraq.
· Check that the Security Manager regularly updates: 1). the security plan documents, 2). the communication of personnel lists for the UN evacuation plan, and 3). the existence and correct updating of emergency kits.
· Make recommendations to the CR regarding security issues, including the establishment of hibernation and/or evacuation plans.
Human Resources Management
· Ensure that Tdh HR regulations are applied in the base. Advise the CR and/or Administration Coordinator on Tdh's compliance with local basic law requirements on terms and conditions of employment and related issues.
· Directly and indirectly lead and manage all base staff, promoting effective teamwork and providing supervision and guidance, particularly on issues related to cross-sectoral collaboration and harmonisation of approaches.
· Respect transparent management procedures as defined in Tdh Iraq's staff regulations.
· Monitor the updating of leave and/or R&R plans in coordination with the Admin Coordinator.
· Assist all managers in staff resource planning: job descriptions, recruitment, induction and training of all staff as appropriate.
· Ensure that regular performance reviews, personal development plans and identification of training needs are collated into an action plan (including budget).
· Ensure, in collaboration with the HR department, that managers follow or implement disciplinary and grievance procedures and exit interviews, as appropriate.
· Ensure staff have access to regular team building activities and the implementation of staff care plans in the base.
· Ensures team cohesion by setting up regular team events according to Tdh principles and in collaboration with the CR and HR Coordinator
Budgetary and financial management
· Ensure the implementation of Tdh financial procedures and donor financial rules.
· Ensure the monitoring of the Tdh budget (analysis of actual costs, monthly budget monitoring, quarterly forecasts, etc.)
· Ensure the follow-up of the Tdh budget breakdown in close collaboration with the administrative and financial coordinator and the project managers.
· Participate in the elaboration of budgets in order to forecast the needs for future projects
· Participate in grant management and monitoring meetings
· Participate in all financial aspects of audits (statutory, local, donors, ad hoc, etc.).
· Plan and consolidate monthly cash flow requests for the base
General administration and logistics
· Follows the signatory authority thresholds for purchase and payment authorisations.
· In collaboration with the Finance Coordinator and under the supervision of the Country Representative, review monthly budget/actual reports to guide future spending and budget allocations.
· Participate in the preparation of the budget in collaboration with the financial coordinator.
· Follow and implement logistics procedures in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator.
· Report on all Tdh procedures
Corporate policies, management systems and procedures
· Contribute to the promotion of and compliance with the Terre des hommes Charter, Code of Conduct and Operating Principles.
· Provide oversight to ensure that established programme practices are as consistent as possible with the UN mandate and Sphere standards.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
- Education: University degree with at least 5 years of experience in Coordination position with an iNGO is a must. Alternatively post-graduate degree in programme coordination with at least 3 years of experience in relevant senior management positions.
- Language: Excellent oral and writing skills in English and Arabic. Kurdish and Turkmen is an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing large and diverse staff and/or portfolios.
- Advanced training on Security is a must;
- Advanced IT knowledge (hardware and software, Microsoft Office, Internet);
- Excellent self-organizing, planning and communication skills;
- Proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context;
This function requires the mastery of Personal, Social and Leadership Competencies (PSLC), Technical and Methodological Competencies (TMC) and Management and Strategic Competencies (MSC)
In particular: (select the ones that are most relevant to the job - 5 maximum)
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Flexibility and strong adaptation skills
- Warrants and respects the rules, the processes and the correct usage of institutional tools
• Is able to explain Tdh policies
nterested candidates can apply by filling the form through the link (
Please note this advertisement is on rolling basis and if the position been filled before the announced deadline the vacancy will be closed