On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is implementing the project “ Financial inclusion for a new economic start and integration in Iraq.” The project aims to sustainably improve financial inclusion and access to inclusive financial services for vulnerable target groups such as internally displaced people, returnees, and refugees, especially women and youth and those running micro and small businesses. This aim will be achieved by supporting the systemic development of the Iraqi financial sector to provide inclusive financial services in cooperation with financial service providers, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and the Central Bank of Iraq (CBI).
The project is organized into three outputs:
1. Improved provision of needs-based financial services for the target groups
2. Awareness-raising, information, and training on financial services (financial literacy)
3. Further development of the regulatory framework for inclusive financial services
The Financial Inclusion project is looking for a “Financial Inclusion Specialist” who will be supporting the implementation of output 3 measures and activities and advising the Central Bank of Iraq on promoting financial inclusion.
The duty station for this position is the GIZ Baghdad Office.
The position holder is responsible for:
▪ Adequate support to the Project Director in project implementation matters, which includes planning, implementing, reporting, and monitoring & evaluation.
▪ Supports the implementation of the project’s operational plan in coordination with the project director. This may include the full responsibility for certain activities according to the standard project cycle.
▪ Adequate support of the Project Director in the design, coordination and implementation of activities for advisory services for CBI and cooperating financial service providers
▪ Assisting the project to identify new beneficiaries and partners as well to maintain excellent work relations with existing ones.
▪ Promoting dialogue between financial service providers, clients, and government representatives
▪ Coordinating advisory services for CBI.
1. Research & development
The position holder will support in:
▪ Conceptualizing, drafting ToRs, reports, procurement documents, guiding analysis and assessments, reviewing texts
▪ Conducting desk and field research, collecting and assessing data and information.
▪ Coordinating and development of a study on the impact of existing regulations on the supply of financial services; identify adaptation needs with respect to regulation and supervision of inclusive financial service providers
The position holder supports
▪ Development of capacity development concepts for CBI and other regulatory actors on target group-oriented regulatory adaptation.
▪ Implementation and monitoring of activities along the project cycle and assist the team and the Project Director in all respective matters.
▪ Organizing, contributing and supervising different events like workshops, missions, webinars, virtual conferences, etc.
▪ Compiles relevant data for the project impact monitoring and contributes to progress reporting on his/her scope of work.
3. Communication, knowledge sharing, networking and initiating cooperation
The position holder will operate and contribute to
▪ Ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners especially the CBI; carries out PR work and cooperates with relevant organisations and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
▪ Identify, develop and establish contacts with local resource persons, experts and knowledge holders and influencers and integrating them
▪ Involved alongside the Project Director in the coordination of activities with other relevant government agencies working on financial inclusion with the Government of Iraq
▪ Coordinating with his/her colleagues in Baghdad and other regions on daily basis
▪ Formulates appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
▪ Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts.
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The position holder will support the project with any additional task if necessary, e.g. she/he
▪ Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
▪ Supports the project with translation duties and any additional tasks if deemed necessary.
▪ Contributes to the development of communication material and presentation supports.
▪ Taking minutes of meetings
▪ Any other tasks requested by the project director
Required qualifications, competences and experience
▪ Education: Bachelor degree in a relevant field (e.g. economics, finance, banking etc.)
▪ A minimum of 7 years of professional experience in financial service sector working with varying market actors.
▪ Experience in providing technical assistance to financial institutions
▪ Experience in stakeholder management (government, NGOs).
▪ Strong organisational skills with attention to details and deadlines regarding effective implementation, planning, monitoring and evaluation of a project activities
▪ Management experience of contractors is an advantage
▪ Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic; working knowledge of German is an asset
▪ Diplomatic approaches and cultural sensibility are a prerequisite
▪ Self-reliant, proactive and responsible personality; willingness to assume additional responsibilities and develop new activities.
▪ Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills.
▪ Being acquainted with administrative procedures in government and administrative offices is an advantage.
Other knowledge, additional competences
▪ Tasks require constructive creative thinking, sometimes also conceptual initiative
▪ Microsoft Office software literacy including ability to use the advanced functions to create reports and customized spreadsheets for financial analysis and management reporting purposes.
▪ Ability and willingness to travel within Iraq including to Norther Region and abroad for limited periods.
▪ Team player, proactive and responsible personality, innovative and flexible.
Requirements for application:
- Please send your CVs/ Resumes and Motivation letter to GIZ.Iraq.Jobs@giz.de
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-FI21-164) Financial Inclusion Specialist
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered