SWEDO is a Swedish non-profit, non-political, non-religious development aid organization that was founded in 1991 in Stockholm, Sweden. Having continuously operated in the Kurdistan Region ever since, SWEDO’s main priorities of work are construction and infrastructure activities, refugee and IDP initiatives, health, water, sanitation and hygiene, and capacity building.
The World Food Program has granted SWEDO a project to implement a WFP-assistance program under the ICSP-Strategic Outcome 2- Sustainable Livelihoods for Resilient Communities in Thi-Qar Governorates
Beneficiaries of the project are 1,155 direct beneficiaries receiving support through cash transfer assistance to provide works for the creation of assets, training and productive inputs to strengthen livelihood production and market value chain, and 8,100 indirect beneficiaries
The target area is affected by widespread environmental degradation, neglected – or absent – infrastructures for the sustainable creation of livelihoods, and the project aims at provide the target beneficiaries with environmental assets that will enable them to initiate a path of sustainable livelihoods and recovery to development
The creation of assets plays a key role in the program, with special attention to agricultural and livelihoods, especially water-related infrastructures utilized for irrigation. The program aims at providing an integrated approach with rehabilitation of water canals, irrigation schemes and plantation of palm date trees
The Civil Engineer is the primary responsible for the assessment of the water canals to be rehabilitated, including the assessment of the required allocation of community workers, mobilization of machinery for land movement, and the overall coordination of the operations related to water canals
Duties and Responsibilities:
- provide technical expertise on intervention related to environmental assets, especially water, in the project area Coordinate the assessment of water canals to be rehabilitated;
- Estimate the required hours of community works for the rehabilitation of the water canals, considering the WFP and SWEDO rules and regulations for the employment of community members;
- Adopt adequate standards of safety and security for community workers;
- Coordinate with the Project Manager for the deployment of land movement services;
- Provide technical advisory for the procurement of building material;
- Coordinate with the team of experts for ensuring a successful rehabilitation of the water-related infrastructures, while minimizing the environmental impact of the operations.
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering, MA is preferred;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in civil engineering and construction position or field, preferred previous experience with WFP or UN grants;
- Fluency in Arabic and English Languages;
- Experience in water canals rehabilitation, large use of community workers;
- Knowledge of technical surveys for livelihood assessment;
- Experience in cash transfer mechanism;
- Knowledge of technical design, mapping software (e.g. CAD, ArcGIS);
- Good knowledge of landcover and land use assessment.
Interested applicants must send their most recent CV to email@example.com, Subject line must read: S-IR-VA-20077, Civil Engineer, Thi-Qar
Note: Applications not meeting the specified minimum requirements o received after closing date may not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview that may include a written test of communication and writing skills.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply