The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Economic Recovery Assistant will provide administrative and technical support to facilitate the delivery of Economic Recovery activities in Sinjar. They will assist the Economic Recovery Team leader in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of Economic Recovery activities.
- Plan, coordinate and deliver activities including beneficiary identification, registration and selection, business training and SME development, business grants, life-skills training, literacy and numeracy training, vocational training, micro-credit loans, savings groups, group enterprise development and facilitation, alongside the Economic Recovery Officers.
- Communicate and mobilize the target communities according to the DRC SOPs, project objectives and processes, ensuring high community awareness of DRC’s work in the area of operation.
- Follow workplans and guidelines.
- Conduct data collection using Mobile Data Collection Tools
- Participate in field assessments and surveys such as market assessments, price monitoring, labor market analysis and social cohesion mapping.
- Support Economic Recovery Officers in the community mobilization, documentation filing and data entry, ensuring beneficiary information Is accurately captured and securely filed.
- Conduct activities in a community- and rights-based, participatory manner, maintaining an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD), and conflict-sensitive approach to community engagement.
- Ensure that all activities are clearly implemented as per DRC’s procedures, requirements, and / or regulations.
- Conduct daily project and beneficiary site visits and write reports accordingly.
- Collaborate with MEAL, Information Management, Finance, Supply Chain and other DRC departments as required.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq Programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Ensure the respect of DRC Code of Conduct and DRC’s zero tolerance policy of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), humanitarian principles and contribute to the integration of Protection and Age, Gender, Diversity (AGD) mainstreaming into DRC programming.
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 1 year of relevant professional experience implementing Economic Recovery, Livelihoods or Agriculture activities.
- Experience working in agriculture or agronomy is highly desirable.
- Professional experience working with INGOs or NNGOs and/or in business development or administration.
- Demonstrated excellent attention to detail, organized and thorough approach.
- Ability to work in the field, contextual awareness of Sinjar district.
- High integrity and willingness to conduct her/himself transparently and open to scrutiny.
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to use relevant software and technology, including Microsoft Word and Excel, and ODK data collection tablets.
- Experience of data collection and data entry.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team, support others, coordinate and divide tasks to achieve a shared goal.
Diploma or higher educational qualification.
- Arabic (Fluent)
- English (Desirable)
- Kurdish (Desirable)
- DRC Staff in the area
- MEAL, Supply Chain, IM, Finance, Admin/HR, Protection, Shelter
- Community and governmental stakeholders
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
- Contract Length: 30th-Nov-2024
- Salary Band: I
- Start Date: 10-Dec-2023
- Comprehensive health insurance for staff, spouse, and up to two children under 18.
- Personal Accident insurance coverage in the event of work-related accidents during working hours.
- Psychosocial support for staff and family members.
- Learning & Development opportunities for professional growth.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the Apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: [25-Nov-2023]
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo