Economic Recovery Team Leader
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Project Team Leader is based in (Diyala) and will be responsible for supervising the national staff under the Economic Recovery Project and ensure the daily implementation of the project. This position coordinates different activities to ensure coherence and alignment with the project proposal targets and work plan, receiving inputs and guidance from the Economic Recovery Project Management, to whom the Team Leader provides timely assistance and support.
- Plan and schedule staff responsibilities and schedules by agreement with the Economic Recovery Management
- Prepare weekly and monthly work plans to deliver identified activities
- Lead the Economic Recovery Officers and Assistants and support beneficiary identification process planning and selection.
- Actively communicating DRC Economic Recovery activities to the stakeholders and the community
- Lead, Oversee and coordinate implementation of field assessments and surveys including needs assessment and baseline surveys.
- Organize and coordinate all activities DRC is implementing such as Reactivation grants, job placement and Business grants
- Ensure equal participation by all segments of the Diyala community, taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age and diversity.
- Provide timely reports to the Program Manager.
- Oversee implementation of Economic Recovery trainings activities.
- Preparing and organizing the logistics requirements of the Economic Recovery Project, in support and compliance with DRC Logistics procedures.
- Travel to and project support in all areas of Diyala Governorate as well as other areas, including but not limited to Baghdad and Erbil.
- Any other duties as may be assigned
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq Programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Relevant Experience to the Economic Recovery and activities.
- Competence using information technology including experiencing with word processing, spreadsheets and database software.
- Previous experience in leading teams and humanitarian project activities.
- Highly developed analytical and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication skills,
- High integrity and willingness to conduct her/himself transparently,
- Strong empathy skills and genuine care and respect for needs of others especially female and people with special needs.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to determine priorities and attention to detail a must.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, sound judgment, planning and team building and facilitating skills. Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed.
Relevant university degree or similar education (Economics, Business and Finance).
Languages: Spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Economic Recovery coordinator
- Economic Recovery Project Manager
- Economic Recovery team
- Support Service offices
Preferred qualifications and experience
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Proven experience in development of Accountability systems and tools for an INGOs.
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Knowledge of the Syrian and IDPs refugee crisis.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
- Contract Length: 9 Months
- Salary Band: G
- Start Date: 1-May-2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Closing date for applications: 3-April-2023
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the Apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.