CRS JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Project Officer (Education Engineer)
Department: Program team
Reports To: Engineer Project Manager
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
In Iraq, CRS is working in partnership with Caritas Iraq to support conflict-affected people to live in dignity through the provision of critical relief items, upgrades to shelters and improved access to water and sanitation facilities, educational and psychosocial support (PSS) for children and youth, and livelihoods support. CRS Iraq has recently established its social cohesion program, which seeks to build mutual understanding, tolerance and trust.
Job Summary: The Project Officer (PO) will implement, monitor and report on all education engineering activities in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. The PO’s thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
• Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
• Assist in technical assessments of potential new implementation areas and prepare estimates of physical rehabilitation work needed.
• Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Draft SoW/BoQs according to CRS guidance, support procurement of qualified vendors, hand over and monitor the work of vendors, and/or participate in receiving committees for works completed, as required by implementation plans.
• Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools.
• Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
• Degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture required.
• Minimum of 4 years of work experience in project support. Experience in the field of engineering required, and for an NGO strongly preferred.
• Additional education may substitute for some experience. Experience managing relationships with contractors preferable.
• Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement.
• Experience monitoring projects and collecting and managing relevant data preferred.
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint). AutoCAD proficiency a plus.
• Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment.
• Good relationship management skills and the ability to collaborate and work closely with local partners, community members, local authorities, vendors, and contractors.
• Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities.
• Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
• Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English is required, including technical writing ability in both languages.
• Day trips to project sites are required up to 80% of the time in Kirkuk governorates. Occasional travel to other CRS offices across Iraq as security allows.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Field Workers
Internal: Project Officers, Senior Project Officer, Education Engineer Project Manager, Program Managers, Heads of Office, MEAL technical support unit, Head of Programs, Deputy Head of Programs, Procurement and Finance, Head of Operations
External: Community leaders, local authorities, government representatives, peer agencies, Caritas Iraq and other local partner staff.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Trusting Relationships
• Professional Growth
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your CV as a PDF, other formats rather than PFD will consider corrupted and will lead to neglect application.
You can apply via the link below: