Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· With support from the Education Coordinator, develop, implement and monitor quarterly, monthly and weekly activity plans to achieve expected results. This includes planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
· Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the Education Manager and addressed in a timely manner way.
· Lead the preparation of all procurement and administrative documents required for program implementation.
· Work with teachers and community to improve the quality of education service provision, and enhance learning outcomes for children eg. through professional development activities for teachers, basic literacy and numeracy instruction, and catch up classes.
· Lead on planning and capacity building training workshops for teachers and other education actors.
· Work with communities (leaders, parents, etc.) to build capacity to monitor and maintain quality education services, and to disseminate information about education issues and available services.
· Lead and conduct assessments (rapid needs assessments, focus group discussions, key informant interviews, etc) to determine education needs
· Hold meetings with stakeholders including schools, local councils and other organizations serving children and community to understand their education priorities, familiarize them with the projects and its objectives and engage them in the process.
· Keep proper records of field activities and expenditures and report on these to the Education Coordinator
· Ensure that the Education program is implemented in ways that are responsive to communities and children, in line with SC’s principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with SC’s procedures.
Staff supervision and mentorship
· Supervise and mentor the Community Mobilizers ensuring that they are empowered to achieve their performance objectives and program results
· Gain technical knowledge on education and other relevant areas so as to provide support and trainings to the Community Mobilizers/Facilitators and volunteers to maintain the standards and improve the quality of project activities.
· Conduct performance reviews and support staff to set performance objectives
· Identify any staffing issues and coordinate closely with the Education Coordinator to resolve them.
Monitoring and Reporting
· Ensure that all program data is properly and regularly collected by field staff, check data and ensure that it is logically presented to the Education Coordinator
· Collect and compile project data from the Community Mobilizers based on the standard formats and submit weekly reports capturing achievements, case studies and lessons learned to the Education Coordinator
· Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports
· Participate in team reviews of results and program progress and/or project evaluation when and as requested
Collaboration and Representation
· Represent Save the Children in a professional manner.
· Liaise with other stakeholders, including schools, local leaders, partners and participates in relevant meetings.
· Collaboration with other team members across the to ensure synergies and consistency in our programming approaches.
· Represent programming with local government, NGOs, communities and within SC as appropriate.
The Education officer is a member of Save the Children’s team in Salah al-Din, Iraq.
Under the supervision of the Education Coordinator, the Education Officer is responsible for:
· Planning, implementing and evaluating SC’s Education activities in the camps/out of camps/transit settings hosting IDPs and returnees, and in newly retaken areas in Salah Al Din Governorate
· Work closely with partners, government and beneficiaries to ensure coordination and appropriate community involvement in our programmes.
The Education Officer will ensure that project activities are consistent with Save the Children’s programming principles and approaches, draw on relevant best practices and lessons learned, enable children to attain their rights and are compliant with donor regulations.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children’s values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision the program, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· College qualification and minimum of three years’ professional experience with education work.
· Proven ability to work as part of a team
· Demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of children in the school and community.
· Strong understanding of the situation of (IDP, returnee, host community) children (girls and boys) in camps, returnee areas and newly retaken areas.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of participatory development, child participation, education.
· Ability to travel independently, including to rural communities and work long hours.
· Strong Arabic skills, written and spoken.
· Good English skills, written and spoken
· Strong report writing skills
· Good computer skills (MS Office, including Outlook for email).
· Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
Applicants may submit their CVs with their contact details and telephone number to: Baghdad.Jobs@savethechildren.org
- We will be reviewing the CVs on rolling basis and the position can be filled even before the closing date.
- Please mention the vacancy title: Education officer in subject box of your email other than that application will not be considered.
- Email without vacancy title will not be considered.