The Environmental Engineer's responsibility is to undertaken assessments of the existing and proposed environmental impact of the rehabilitation work being undertaken in Al-Hamdanyah and Sinjar districts on both the subject properties and the receiving environment. The role involves evaluating the environmental condition of the existing homes, preparing contingency plans to mitigate the risk of adverse environmental impacts on the receiving environment, and writing reports reviewing the implementation of the environmental management and mitigation plans.
The Environmental Engineer shall ensure the implementation of the Iraqi Environmental legislative standards and health and safety practices in each rehabilitation site, and be accountable for training local staff on environmental standards and providing personal protective equipment (PPE) within budget.
Performing all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of Samaritan’s Purse with a generous and serving spirit, always maintaining Christian witness to the communities.
- Prepare Environmental Management and Mitigation Plans (EMMP), schedules, drawings, and develop budgets, reports and any other contract documents.
- Attend team, project meetings to discuss progress, deadlines, and environmental issues.
- Check & review all environmental practices and provide staff training.
- Understand and communicate Iraqi legislative environmental engineering standard practice fundamentals on air, land and water pollution to SP, home owners and contractors.
- Be able to test damaged shelters for asbestos with the appropriate PPE, compare sample water quality to international standards and ensure adequate disposal on effluent and solid waste.
- Be able to read architectural drawings and specification for environmental review.
- Follow up work on each site making sure the head of household is on track and recording environmental health and safety practices.
- Oversee multiple construction sites and staff in multiple regions including driving between Al-Hamdanya and Sinjar districts.
- Prepare an environmental budget for each shelter rehabilitation and a list of all the houses being repair.
- Communicating with the senior engineer to maintain the environmental budget within the full rehabilitation budget.
- Communicate to the Program Manager and Program Coordinator any environmental or budget issues concerning environmental quality control, and work implementation.
- Consult with local government and Iraqi environmental legislative council when necessary.
- Assess and evaluate problematic structures outside budget.
- Report on environmental health and safety on construction sites with weekly progress updates with photographs, environmental BOQs, random environmental site checks, and monthly reports to the Program Manager and Program Coordinator.
- Maintain files on all households with whom SP is working, and expected timelines for completion of each household project.
- Develop relationships with local leaders (including church leaders), beneficiaries and community.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager and Project Coordinator.
Complete other activities as directed by the Line Manager and performing all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of Samaritan’s Purse with a generous and serving spirit.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be willing to abide by Samaritan’s Purse’s code of conduct and understand the principals of Samaritan’s Purse’s statement of faith, as well as be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Have practical, local, field experience in environmental construction.
- Flexible and adaptable according to the needs of the project.
- Culturally sensitive and aware of differences.
- Respect church leaders from all denominations and local city leaders.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Be able to lift about 50kgs and know how to load a truck safely.
- Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function while maintaining the highest levels of confidentiality regarding contracts and salaries.
- Possesses strong organizational and problem solving skills within a fast-paced environment.
- Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
- Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be a humble team player.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, taking on additional responsibilities as needed.
- Knowledge of computer systems and its applications such as Outlook, Word, and Excel including formulas/formatting.
- He/she must have analytical and report writing skills.
- High level of integrity and stewardship.
- Communicate clearly to others both written and orally.
- Committed to the SP values and ethics.
Education / Experience Needed
- Must have a National Diploma in Environmental Engineering.
- Must have a practical on-site experience (3 years minimum).
- Experience with implementing Iraqi legislative standards.
-Arabic and English is required.
- Kurdish is preferred
Send your CV/Resume to the following email:
- The subject of the email should be Environmental Engineer - Sinjar
- Please make sure to follow the subject so that your CV will be reviewed.
- CVs must be in English language