SWEDO is a Swedish non-profit, non-political, non-religious development aid organization that was founded in 1991 in Stockholm, Sweden. Having continuously operated in the Kurdistan Region ever since, SWEDO’s main priorities of work are construction and infrastructure activities, refugee and IDP initiatives, health, water, sanitation and hygiene, and capacity building.
The World Food Program has granted SWEDO a project to implement a WFP-assistance program under the ICSP-Strategic Outcome 2- Sustainable Livelihoods for Resilient Communities in Thi-Qar Governorates
Beneficiaries of the project are 1,155 direct beneficiaries receiving support through cash transfer assistance to provide works for the creation of assets, training and productive inputs to strengthen livelihood production and market value chain, and 8,100 indirect beneficiaries
The target area is affected by widespread environmental degradation, neglected – or absent – infrastructures for the sustainable creation of livelihoods, and the project aims at provide the target beneficiaries with environmental assets that will enable them to initiate a path of sustainable livelihoods and recovery to development
The creation of assets plays a key role in the program, with special attention to agricultural and livelihoods, especially water-related infrastructures utilized for irrigation. The program aims at providing an integrated approach with rehabilitation of water canals, irrigation schemes and plantation of palm date trees
The Civil Engineer is the primary responsible for the assessment of the water canals to be rehabilitated, including the assessment of the required allocation of community workers, mobilization of machinery for land movement, and the overall coordination of the operations related to water canals
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical expertise on intervention related to environmental assets, especially water, in the project area;
- Coordinate with other experts and the project manager for the assessment of the target areas for the water canals rehabilitation in order to provide a detailed assessment of the functionality of irrigation canals;
- Provide accurate estimate of the environmental resources in the project areas, including a quantitative estimate and scenario on their deterioration;
- Analyze the environmental impact of technical works and cleaning to be operated on the water canals;
- Coordinate with the PES International Expert for the estimate of payment for ecosystem services.
- Bachelor degree in environmental engineering, natural resources management or agriculture, MA is preferred;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in environmental management, natural resources management or agriculture positions or field;
- Fluency in Arabic and English Languages;
- Experience in environmental science, environmental engineer, water resources or agriculture;
- Knowledge and familiarity with datasets developed by the humanitarian community in Iraq;
- Good knowledge of landcover and land use assessment;
- Knowledge of technical surveys for livelihood assessment.
Interested applicants must send their most recent CV to email@example.com, Subject line must read: S-IR-VA-20062, Environmental Engineer, Thi-Qar
Note: Applications not meeting the specified minimum requirements o received after closing date may not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview that may include a written test of communication and writing skills.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply