The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
The Finance Assistant supports the finance officer in all financial issues of the DRC office in Anbar and all offices in the position locations mentioned above.
- Assisting Finance officer in managing petty cash for Baghdad Office;
- Assisting Finance officer on daily financial data entry into the standardized DRC cashbooks;
- Assisting Finance officer on perform cash counts with Program Coordinator on a weekly basis;
- Assisting Finance officer in ensuring timely payment of the national staff salaries and all suppliers/partners’ invoices;
- Assisting Finance officer finalizing cash books for submission to FAM on a monthly basis;
- Scanning vouchers and other documents of DRC Iraq to submit to Headquarters
- Verifying that any transaction is supported by proper supporting documentations as per DRC’s financial rules and regulation and proper authorization is obtained prior releasing a payment;
- In co-ordination with administration and logistics, to update DRC inventory/asset list on a monthly basis
- Any other tasks as assigned by Line Manager.
- Reporting to: Support Services Manager
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in a similar position.
- Strong written and mathematical skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Experience of managing and handling cash
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental organizations.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize large and changeable workload
- Good communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Able to work independently and energetically
- Relevant university degree or similar education
- Fluent in spoken and written Arabic, English is preferred.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 31-January-2019.
Designation of Duty Station: Anbar.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 4-November-2019
Note: Due to urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo