About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives. Recognizing both the great potential and the complex challenges faced by the Middle East, since 1989 Mercy Corps has been implementing a range of humanitarian assistance and development programs tailored to the specific needs of the region and of those communities where we work. Mercy Corps has worked across Iraq’s 18 governorates since 2003, implementing relief and development programming, more than a third of which has focused on the specific needs of refugees and displaced persons. Mercy Corps Iraq current goal is to work with new and existing civil society, public and private sector partners to meet immediate and long-term needs by strengthening communities’ ability to rebuild amidst increasing crisis. Mercy Corps Iraq focuses on (1) a relief-to-resilience pathway to meet the needs of conflict-affected communities leveraging agency expertise in conflict management and civil society development (2) a humanitarian response that empowers conflict-affected populations to meet their own needs (3) partnering with conflict-affected adolescents to address their diverse needs, promoting leadership and linkages with civil society.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Manager and working closely with the other MC Iraq finance staff, the Finance Officer will ensure the accuracy and completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Record daily cash transactions in Mercy Corps accounting software system “Navigator”.
- Maintain custody of Bank and Hawala with high level of coordination with Hawala vendors and make payments of approved transactions.
- Perform weekly and month end cash counts per the Mercy Corps Field Finance Manual.
- Provide Financial Review of payment requests and expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness (per policies and procedures), ensuring expense reports are fully approved before payment.
- Prepare monthly expatriate payroll advance documentation.
- Assist with month end balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Other month close tasks as assigned, including submission of required month end supporting documentation, Navigator reports, etc.
- Monitor advances/ advance ageing report.
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Maintain the lease, Master agreement and rental agreements file.
- Assist in responding to audit inquiries.
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Preparing journal and re-class entries as required
- Prepare payroll for north Iraq.
- Prepare amortization and accrual monthly entries.
- Prepare a monthly bank reconciliation
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: One Employee
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Finance Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Finance team, Procurement, Administration and Logistics Team, Program team.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Two or more years of accounting or bookkeeping experience, including experience with double-entry accounting
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills and Arabic language skill
- Experience in supervising staff
A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required. A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. Recognition of and discretion in the sensitivities of the program is of crucial importance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES:
Successful candidates should meet the education and experience requirements in the position descriptions for the vacant positions. S/he must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in difficult, stressful environments and follow Mercy Corps procedures. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace.
Interested candidates should submit their CVs to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline indicated below.
Please indicate on the subject of the email the title of the position you are applying for, for full position description for the noted posts, please visit websites NCCI and F-Job.
ALL APPLICATIONS/ CVs SHOULD BE RECEIVED BY April 6th, 2020 at 16:00.
Mercy Corps will review CV’s and applications on a rolling basis (i.e., as applications are submitted).
Potential candidates for the post will be contacted for an interview and processed according to Mercy Corps Human Resources policies and procedures. As soon as qualified candidates are identified the positions will be closed automatically. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for potential interview. Any documents submitted will remain with Mercy Corps and will not be returned to candidates.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. Females are highly encouraged to apply.