Harikar NGO is a neutral, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization established on 30th May 2004 by a group of social activists. Harikar NGO as stated in its mission statement strives toward the fulfillment of human and women rights in Dohuk Governorate as stipulated in the new Iraqi constitution of 15th October 2005. Harikar is committed to- within its resources- contribute towards the achievement of the internationally agreed Millennium Development Goals. Harikar believes in human rights, the right of every person to reach his/her potential without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, religion, social segment and ethnicity. Harikar strives to achieve social justice especially among the marginalized vulnerable groups and works towards eliminating all forms of discrimination against women by promoting their capacity to fully participate in community development. Harikar has been able to successfully carry out more than 80 projects, through funding from various partners including UNFPA, RRT/PRT, UNHCR, UNESCO Diakonia, UNDP, UNOPS, IRD, Mercy Corps, IRC, IRI, NDI, SCF-UK, Mission east, ICSP and others.
Harikar in coordination with CARE International in Iraq is providing humanitarian assistance to vulnerable populations affected by the conflict in Iraq that was brought to an end in 2017.
Harikar and CARE’s programme is aligned with the 2020 HRP and will improve access to lifesaving gender-sensitive WASH, Protection and SRHR activities to 64,434 conflict affected individuals (18,169 women, 14,701 girls, 16,924 men and 14,640 boys) living in Chamishku and Essyan IDP camps as well as returnees in Sinjar district, Ninawa governorate. The activities are designed to complement Harikar and CARE’s existing GAC-funded program while expanding our reach to support returnees in Sinjar.
Under the overall guidance of the Team Leader, the Gender Worker will be responsible of case managemenet, psychosocial support, psychosocial first aid, conducting protection awareness sessions, irganizing protection related events, determine received cases’ elegibility to dignity kit and cash programs, provide weekly reports to the Tema Leader, and make sure gender and protection issues are addressed to ensure the safety of the affected population targeted by Harikar NGO and CARE International, WASH Interventions in Essyan and Chamishku camps and Sinjar.
The position will uphold Harikar and CARE’s Core Values namely; Transformation, Integrity, Diversity, Equality, Excellence promote mission and vision, programme principles to enhance programme impact.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Objective 1: Project support;
- Collect information around gender and protection issues and share it with the Team Leader.
- Conduct daily field visits and interactions with the IDP & returnees to identify gaps in gender and protection services, and other gender-related issues, and find ways to overcome these challenges by involving beneficiaries and community & religious leaders.
- Responsible of case management, Psychosocial support, Psychosocial first aid, conducting protection awareness & therapy sessions, and organizing protection related events. For example, women’s rights, early marriage, IHL, IHRL, CEDAW (convention to eliminate discrimination against women), child’s right and engaging men in this process.
- Assess received cases for eligibility in providing dignity kits and cash assistance for returnees in Sinjar according to a set-criteria from the protection cluster and cash working group.
- Encourage all beneficiaries, in particular women and girls, to voice their concerns and any issues related to their rights and needs, without any discrimination based on gender, ages, ethnics and religion.
- Contribute to the development of new activities through inputs based on gender issues raised via contact with beneficiaries.
- Ensure referral & accountability mechanisms established by CARE are in place.
Objective 2: Team Leader support;
- Support the Team Leader on running the community center that includes therapies, case management, PSS and life-skill trainings.
- Participate in organizing life skill trainings, WASH committee trainings, and the trainings conducted by Psychologist.
- Report weekly activities to the Team Leader.
- Provide assistance in data collection, including compiling lessons learned; as well as case management, evaluations, baseline studies and success stories on gender/women’s empowerment through the provision of information to the Team Leader.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Project Manager.
Objective 3: Project monitoring;
- Ensure that gender and protection are mainstreamed through the whole project cycle, including MEAL activities (i.e., ensuring outcomes of PDMs are disaggregated according to gender, age, religion and ethnic group).
- Gender related issues are addressed through assessments, PDMs & evaluation without any discrimination against color, social status, religion, gender, ethnic group and so on.
Objective 4: Operation department (Procurement, Finance, HR, and MEAL) support;
- Support the Finance department by providing Dignity kit and Cash assistance distribution lists (Sinjar only).
- Abide by the security policies and procedures and report any incidents or breaches to line manager and / or security manager.
- Responsible of own security and actively contribute to a positive security culture.
Objective 5: Coordination;
- Participate in hygiene promotion activities such as hygiene trainings, demonstrations and sensitization campaigns, to ensure gender issues are fully addressed.
- Support WASH staff running daily activities according to the Hygiene Promotion plan such as campaigns, seminars, awareness sessions, RGAs, etc.
- Organize regular meetings with community, sector and religious leaders, in order to bring about change in gender-related issues.
Required experience & skills:
University Degree in related field (A high school degree from an accredited academic institution can also be counted as satisfactory if accompanied by additional work experience).
- At least 2 to 3 years of experience in a similar position.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office (for reporting).
- Good communication skills including writing skills.
- Strong training & facilitation skills.
Fluency in written and spoken Kurdish and Arabic, Good in written and spoken English.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling Harikar NGO values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Harikar NGO
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing Priorities and competing deadlines
- Team work abilities, decision making, and cultural awareness.
- Strong initiative to new ideas, flexibility in adapting to changes, and creativity in responding to challenges.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to CARE International, Respectful and helpful relations with partner, project staff, local authorities, and the community.
- Commitment to the job and the organization.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior.
- Applicants should be from inside Sinjar, Ninawa governorate.
- All applications should be summited with a CV and a letter of application, detailing a brief description of why the applicant’s qualification and previous work history are suitable to the position.
- Applications should be placed in a sealed envelope, addressed to Harikar local NGO, indicating the applicant’s name, the post applied for, and should be delivered to the following address:
- Harikar Local NGO
- Nohadra Quarter, Jeen Street, 32/4, 1005, BA Dohuk.
- Duhok, Kurdistan, Iraq
- Phone Number: 07736971142
- Or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the Job Vacancy # (HD/ 28 ) and the position they are applying for (Gender Worker / Sinjar) in the subject line of the email
- The closing date for applications for the above vacancy IS THE 9/7/2020 at 03:30 pm. (LOCAL TIME).