The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role: To provide entry point management of Office, monitor the overall safety situation, and implement safety regulations and, with an emphasis on visitors and employees to abide by the rules for COVID-9 and safety plans as designated by the Safety and Liaison Officer in Balad.
Reporting to: Safety officer
Unit/department: Safety and Liaison.
Location: Iraq, SAD, Balad Office
Authorization level: Area Manager
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Ensure security of DRC staff and property affiliated to the area office.
- Secure DRC facilities including all the vehicles parked in the area.
- Organizing the process of parked vehicles belonging to DRC drivers, and not allowing vehicles to park at the main entrance door to the office.
- Regular patrols inside the office when it is not busy, especially at night.
- Control on access to DRC office doors, and Assist in loading/unloading vehicles if requested that.
- Follow up, control the doors of the warehouses/stores, and adhere to the SOPs for taking out the materials/assets by following the internal rules, in coordination with the safety and liaison officer or the responsible of the store.
- Assist in keeping the clean facility (especially reception area) and main gate area – remove rubbish etc.
- Enforce DRC’s no-weapons policy inside the office.
- Welcomed visitors, ensured the visitor’s name was registered in the recorder book, and directed the visitor to the office after consented to an entry permit to the office from the safety officer or the departments.
- Switch on/off the generators along with maintaining logbook.
- Take lead on ruining water pumps, watering plants and trees as required Instructed by line manager.
- Reporting any security or safety incident to the Safety and liaison Officer depends on the information's importance, accuracy, and impact on human activities.
- Follow up on DRC safety and security guidelines.
- Any other assignment by the line manager/supervisor.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Proven experience in a similar position as a guard for at least 3 years.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience in working with UN, Non-Governmental Organizations, safety companies, and factories.
- Good communication skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Understanding of gender, protection, and human rights.
- Accident management skills and how to deal with it.
- Candidates from Balad District are highly preferable and encourage to apply.
Education and required documents:
- High School Degree
- Certificates of graduation
- Driving licenses
- Residence card
- National ID
- Criminal record
Other documents if requested
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluent in Arabic
- English is an advantage
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Safety Officer
- National and International Staff
- Visitors (other NGOs, etc.)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
- Contract Length: 3 Months
- Salary Band: K
- Start Date: 01-October-2023
- Comprehensive health insurance for staff, spouse, and up to two children under 18.
- Personal Accident insurance coverage in the event of work-related accidents during working hours.
- Psychosocial support for staff and family members.
- Learning & Development opportunities for professional growth.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the Apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: [25-September-2023]
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo