What PAH is about:
Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is a non-governmental organization. For 25 years, we have been providing relief in emergencies worldwide. We also run missions in several countries in crisis. Our interventions – of both humanitarian and development character – have been carried out in 44 countries so far. We concentrate on ensuring sustainable and stable development of regions suffering the consequences of war and/or natural disasters. We possess long-standing expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), but also implement projects in Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), as well as Nutrition and Education. For more information, please refer to www.pah.org.pl.
PAH in Iraq:
We returned to Iraq at the end of 2016 to respond to the needs of the civilian population caused by the fighting in Mosul. In 2017 PAH reached in total 53 000 beneficiaries with emergency assistance in Mosul and Erbil Governorate. In 2018 PAH is focused on providing multipurpose cash assistance in Erbil and Dohuk Governorates and on wash rehabilitation activities in Ninewa Governorate
PAH’s current activities in Iraq include:
- swift reaction to humanitarian crisis in Iraq.
- improvement of quality of all actions, assuring more adequate humanitarian response, following humanitarian standards and requirements of local communities.
- response based on complementary programs and projects which are created in coordination with local authorities and local communities.
- support of Iraqi employees in improvement of personal potential and professional capacity.
Who PAH is looking for:
PAH in Iraq is looking for a Hygiene Promotion Officer contributes to the maintenance of hygienic conditions setting through supporting, undertaking and being involved in a variety of hygiene promotion activities. On a daily basis the Hygiene Promotion Officer reports directly to the Senior Project Coordinator, and supervises the daily activities of the Hygiene Promoters.
The person will hold the following responsibilities:
Mobilize members of the communities
- Identify possible facilitators within the communities
- Conduct hygiene promotion sessions within communities, schools, health canter and groups of persons with specific needs, according to age, gender and diversity.
- Conduct training sessions for community-based committees and other groups.
- Conduct participatory hygiene events with communities.
- Conduct home visiting to assess, inform and motivate families to improve hygiene and living conditions when required
- Promote hygiene education through a variety of means, such as information sharing, dissemination, communication materials.
- Provide support for the distribution of hygiene items.
- Develop contacts with community leaders and key stakeholders to explain and promote the organization and projects.
- Act as a link between the organization and the beneficiaries
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager;
- Organizes the Cash for Work activities schedule, liaise directly with the workers and make sure that all the necessary documentation (attendance sheets, certificate of completion of works etc.) is properly filled and filed.
- Contribute to the proper management of stock, inventories, materials, tools, and equipment, including correct filing and documentation in close cooperation with the logistics department and notably warehouse officer.
- Basic education or equivalent training/experience in a related field, familiarity with different hygiene education activities
- 2 years of experience on Hygiene Promotion position
- Experience in training and /or teaching
- Significant proven work experience in supervising construction projects including WASH infrastructure and previous INGO experience implementing WASH activities. Experience in distributions is an asset.
- At least 2-year experience leading small teams, and undertaking basic project implementation/monitoring responsibilities (e.g. completing purchase requests, compiling beneficiary data, etc.)
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed.
- Willingness and capacity to work outside of regular working days (national holidays or extra hours) in case of emergency response.
- Ability to work sensitively with vulnerable people, considering gender, age and diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives, in a multicultural context.
- Ability to act calmly intense situations, handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to organize and manage information, plan and manage workload, prioritize, and deliver to deadlines.
- Good communication skills
- Proficiency in the following computer programs: MS Excel and MS Word.
- Excellent spoken and written of English, and Arabic.
What PAH offers:
- Friendly and cooperative working atmosphere with development possibilities;
- A full-time contract for 7 months with a 2-months probationary period;
- Personal accidental and medical insurance
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your application form HERE along with a cover letter and three professional references form your current or previous employer.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.