Since 2014 CARE Iraq has been providing humanitarian assistance to conflict-affected populations living in IDP camps in Duhok, returnees, and host communities’ inaccessible areas in Ninewa Governorate. The core sectors of CARE’s work include the restoration of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services, a comprehensive package of Sexual Reproductive and Maternal Health (SRMH), CARE’s livelihood interventions aim to enhance the sustainable social-economic resilience of the conflict-affected vulnerable populations. CARE program promotes cohesion and mainstream protection and gender in all diversities, whilst placing a specific focus on the needs of women and girls to achieve sustainable change.
Under the direct supervision of the Livelihood Officer in Talafar, the lawyer is responsible to advise individual beneficiaries and give group legal sessions to solve their particular problems focusing on but not limited to Housing, Land and Property rights (e.g. accessing essential personal documentation, government-initiated compensation benefits, and other legal issues, including property restitution) and make recommendations on the best actions to take.
- Advise individual beneficiaries of options to solve their legal problem (e.g. accessing essential personal documentation, government-initiated compensation benefits, and other legal issues, including property restitution) and make recommendations on the best actions to take.
- Assist in filing complaints before administrative or other bodies in accordance with established procedures for legal representation.
- Provide legal representation in court and before administrative bodies in selected cases
- Advocate on behalf of clients and make direct interventions with local authorities (e.g. phone calls, letters or meetings) or other organizations (NGOs) or international organizations.
- Cooperate with other PACs on individual cases by requesting assistance and follow —up when cases take place outside its area of responsibility.
- Provide group legal sessions on same topics.
- Refer potential clients to other agencies offering the assistance they require.
- Maintain and manage individual case files and ensure that all required data is put into the electronic database and kept confidential.
- Provide weekly work plans and report to supervisor outlining caseload and movements.
- Perform other duties, as required by the supervisor.
Child Safeguarding: CARE International in Iraq is committed to protecting the rights of children. We reserve the right to conduct police/ reference checks and other screening procedures to ensure a child-safe environment.
Preventing Sexual Harassment, Exploitation, and Abuse: CARE International in Iraq staff are committed to each other and to the protection of the people we serve. We do not tolerate sexual misconduct within our organization or external to our organization. Protection from sexual harassment, exploitation, and abuse are fundamental to CARE International Iraq’s relationships, including employment, and our recruitment practices are designed to ensure we recruit people who are committed to our work and the people we serve. We will use the recruitment and reference process to ensure all potential staff understand and are aligned with these expectations. To find out more, please contact the Human Resources Officer or read the CI PSEA and CP Policy (Click here).
Gender equality: CARE International in Iraq is committed to meeting the standards of the CARE International Gender Policy (2009). Through this policy, CARE seeks to promote the equal realization of dignity and human rights for girls, women, boys and men, and the elimination of poverty and injustice. Specifically, this policy it seeks to improve the explicit incorporation of gender in programmatic and organizational practices.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in law
- Member of Iraq Lawyers Syndicate
- At least one-year experience in practicing law
- Familiarity with Telafar social-economic and cultural context
- Fluency in Arabic and basic English language skills, Turkish and Kurdish an asset
- Proficiency in MS Office application particularly Excel, word processing, and database packages
- Willingness to travel outside of Telefar such as Mosul, Sinjar, Duhok
- Ability to work to high standards under pressure, with minimum supervision
- Ability to independently manage competing priorities as well as a demanding workload and tight deadline
- Belief in human rights including gender equality
- Commitment to and understanding of CARE core values and principles
Please submit your application in English language (Cover letter, CV) to CARE’s Human Resource Department at HR-KRI@care.de no later than August 27, 2019. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Note: Please write name of the position in the subject line otherwise it will not be considered.
WE ONLY ACCEPT ONLINE APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION
NB: Women are strongly encouraged to apply