Job title: Lawyer
Job type: Full-time
Salary grade: L1
Place of work (City, Governorate): Sinjar, Ninewa, Iraq
Number of Jobs: 1
Requested duration of the contract: 6 months with possibility of extension
Working Hours: Sunday to Thursday from 08:00-04:00 PM
Field trips: Required, to Tel Azir, Wardiya, Siba, Ba’aj, Mosul, and surrounding regions
Publishing Date: 04 August 2022
Deadline Date: 11 August 2022 at 04:00 PM
Requirements for recruitment (please specify desired or obligatory):
· Degree in Law
· Minimum two years of relevant professional experience as a lawyer in Federal Iraq.
· At least 2 years of experience working in NGOs and the humanitarian setting in protection programming.
· Previous working experience with IDPs, refugees and returnees.
· Excellent knowledge of the Iraqi legal system and legal procedures.
· Strong knowledge of family law matters, international protection, and human rights legal standards.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
· Conduct legal intake interviews with beneficiaries to assess legal needs and provide legal counselling on main issues encountered in accordance with project intake criteria.
· When applicable provide legal assistance to beneficiaries with legal or urgent protection needs.
· Assist beneficiaries to fill forms for: national ID/passports, marriage certification, birth certification and other relevant documents.
· Develop and facilitate legal awareness sessions on specific legal issues impacting the community.
· Lead client meetings; reviewing papers from clients which may include several topics/types of cases (e.g. GBV, marriage, property, etc.)
· Give specific information/recommendation about how to proceed to obtain legal documents.
· Provide legal counselling pertaining to House, Land and Property Law entitlements and cases, Family Law matters, Yazidi Survivors Law etc.
· Assist in the completion of all personal documentation including but not limited to: national ID forms, marriage certification forms, birth certification forms (in cases where lawyer will not provide legal representation).
· Drafting simple pleadings and agreements on behalf of client to present him/herself in court.
· Accompaniment to ministries and government departments for documentation (e.g. pension, salary, social services)
· Follow-up on cases of people in detention, reformatories, shelters, or other longer-term cases that do not involve legal representation (e.g. tracing people in the system, legal research to support, talking to government agencies to get more info, etc.)
· Provide legal representation for individuals in civil litigation in housing land and property (HLP) or to recover damages related to slavery. Any court case (civil, investigation, criminal, family).
· Instances of birth/death/guardianship/marriage/divorce certification or other procedures requiring PoA.
Case Management support
· Provide feedback to Yazda’s Project Manager and Case Managers for cases being supported under the Case Management function for this project.
· Participate in case conferences for complex and ambiguous cases with a legal issue, upon request by the Project Manager.
· Support Case Management team in conducting legal awareness sessions in the area of operation according to identified needs or upon advice of the Community Protection Officer.
· Ensure all legal assistance provided in recorded in the Legal Administration Database for the project.
· Ensure the proper filing and archiving of individual legal files to maintain data confidentiality.
· Undertake home visits to clients with reduced mobility.
· Carry out all tasks respecting key protection principles including but not limited to: do no harm principles, non-discrimination, confidentiality and accountability and need-to-know principles.
· Travel to Tel Azir, Siba, Wadiya, Ba’aj, Mosul, and other places if required in order to meet with beneficiaries and visit relevant government authorities.
· Contribute to the drafting of internal/external reports according to Yazda and donor requirements ensuring quality and timely submission.
· Participate in legal coordination meetings or workshops/trainings as requested by the Project Manager.
· Responsible to report all legal activities on a monthly basis to the Project Manager.
· Responsible for meeting legal support beneficiary targets (aggregated by sex, age and disability) as per project proposal.
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law.
- Knowledge of the Geneva Conventions.
- Knowledge of key legal barriers for returnees including documentation, HLP and ISIL Survivors entitlements etc.
- Minimum of two years of working with vulnerable people, mainly IDP’s, returnees and refugees.
- Candidate must be based in Sinjar.
- Ability to commence on 01 Sep 22.
Interested applicants must send their CV with a cover letter to email@example.com with a subject “JV12422- Lawyer“
NOTE: Applications not meeting the specified minimum requirements or received after closing date may not be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview that may include a written test of technical
NOTE: due to the urgency of the position, we might close the announcement prior to the mentioned deadline