All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
The Lawyer is responsible for providing legal information, counselling and assistance to vulnerable persons in order to obtain civil documentation or retrieve lost documents. In addition, the Lawyer is in charge of planning and conducting awareness raising sessions on issues related to the law.
Main legal issues to be covered include:
- Family law;
- Gender-based violence and child protection;
- Legal identity including obtaining civil documentation necessary to access rights and services (birth registration, marriage registration, etc.)
- Citizenship and statelessness issues related to displacement.
- Conduct basic intake interviews with beneficiaries to assess legal needs and provide legal counselling on main issues encountered;
- When applicable provide legal assistance to beneficiaries with legal or urgent protection needs;
- Provide timely feedback to INTERSOS Case Management staff or to other agencies for cases who were referred for legal assistance;
- Participate in case meetings for complex cases with a legal issue, if requested by the Protection Officer;
- Ensure the proper filing and archiving of individual legal files to maintain data confidentiality;
- Undertake home visits to clients in very specific cases, where the client’s mobility is reduced;
- Develop quality material for dissemination of legal information through outreach activities;
- Conduct legal awareness sessions in the area of operation according to identified needs;
- Design and facilitate trainings on legal issues to other staff members;
- Build the capacity of local actors and key community members on main legal protection issues, concerns and trends;
- Carry out all tasks respecting key protection principles including but not limited to: PSEA, do no harm, non-discrimination, confidentiality and accountability and need-to-know principles;
- Update the legal and referral databases for each case;
- Contribute to the drafting of internal/external reports according to INTERSOS and donor requirements ensuring quality and timely submission;
- Participate in legal coordination meetings or workshops/trainings as requested by the Project Manager and Protection Officer.
- Provide legal representation for cases that need to possess necessary civil documentation/lawsuits;
- Deliver all required invoices that relate to legal fees to Legal Team Leader;
- Other duties as assigned by the Legal Team Leader and Legal Officer.
- (Can be adapted to the particularities of the job location and the requirement of the specific project, but should be approved by the Protection Coordinator before advertising the vacancy).
- Education and professional experience:
- Bachelor degree in Law and member of Iraq or KRI Lawyers Syndicate;
- Hold a valid bar association ID B or C;
- Minimum three years of relevant professional experience as a lawyer;
- Previous working experience with IDPs, refugees and returnees;
- Excellent knowledge of the Iraqi legal system and legal procedures;
- Strong knowledge of international protection and human rights legal standards;
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel)
- Respect and a non-discriminatory attitude
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good reporting skills
- Ability to show empathy
- Ability to work under pressure
- Fluency in Arabic and Kurdish (written and spoken)
- Working knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Applicants may submit their CVs to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please mention the vacancy title: (Lawyer - Hammam al-Alil) in the subject line of your email.
- Emails without the vacancy title will not be considered.
- Emails after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- INTERSOS will review application on rolling bases, so the vacancy might be filled before the deadline.