DEPARTMENT: Program (CCCM)
BASE: Tel Afar
The Legal Specialist will participate to improve the legal knowledge of the communities in the area of intervention, as well as the legal referral pathways. The Legal Specialist will conduct legal specific outreach and awareness sessions to informal site communities and other relevant stakeholders upon the line manager’s request. In addition, the Legal Specialist will assist the CRC team in improving the referral pathways for legal assistance and service delivery to registered beneficiaries in the CRC catchment area. Upon the line manager’s request, the Legal Specialist may participate to other tasks to achieve the project objective such as building the capacity of the other CCCM and CRC team members.
A – Main Duties & Responsibilities of the position
- Conduct and facilitate Focus Group Discussions to understand the legal issues needs of the communities in the area of intervention
- Develop systems for disseminating information through leaflets and other information sharing avenues
- Develop and deliver legal specific information, outreach campaigns and awareness-raising sessions to site and host communities. Information provided should follow a community with communications (CwC) methodology. Design and facilitate trainings on legal issues to other CCCM and CRC staff members.
- Identify legal concerns of women, girls, men and boys within the community in the area of intervention; i.e. any trends should be reported to the project manager and advocate for gaps in protection services response and referral procedures.
- Build the capacity of local actors and key community members on main legal protection issues, concerns and trends;
- Support vulnerable individuals in site community by referring them to the CRC or according to relevant referral pathways when necessary and in respect of their consent to other legal service providers.
- Ensure Do No Harm approach is applied in all activities conducted with the site and host communities.
B – Legal Counseling and Assistance:
- Give specific information/recommendation about how to proceed to obtain legal documents during outreach campaigns.
- When applicable, refer and follow-up on referral cases (e.g. tracing people in the system, legal research to support, liaise with the CRC, talking to government agencies to get more info, etc.)
- When applicable, provide legal assistance to beneficiaries with legal or urgent protection needs;
- When applicable, help beneficiaries to fill forms for: national ID/passports, food distribution, marriage certification, birth certification etc.
C – General Responsibilities
- Keeping detailed, organized records of project information and documentation.
- Submit weekly and monthly work plans along with detailed activity reports to the Project Manager.
- Maintain constant contact with the CCCM and CRC team members, direct and indirect beneficiaries (receive their requests, provide available information, etc.).
- Respect the total confidentiality of information collected and circulated.
- Adhere to the ACTED Code of Conduct and security management system.
- Commit to participate in any other task in order to achieve the overall project objective.
- The Legal Specialist position is based in Tel Afar but presence in the selected sites may be required to assist the Mobile Teams in their activities.
D – Essential Skills & Knowledge Required
- Degree in Law
- Minimum one year of relevant professional experience as a lawyer;
- Previous working experience with IDPs, refugees and returnees;
- Excellent knowledge of the Iraqi legal system and legal procedures;
- Strong knowledge of international protection and human rights legal standards;
- Languages: Written and spoken Arabic and English (essential).
- Minimum 2 years of experience in protection programming with a focus on legal assistance programming.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, ethics and respect for aid recipients at all times.
- Ability to engage with community members, partners, government and other stakeholders in a respectful manner.
- Experience with participatory fieldwork, methodologies, monitoring and reporting.
- Patience, good personal organization, good communication and ability to work in teams.
- Efficient and responsible, with good personal accountability.
- Initiative, flexibility, team spirit, willingness to learn, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to work under time pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Computer literate (IT) and good level of numeracy.
Interested candidates can apply via the following link:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only CVs in PDF format will be accepted.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.