Summary of Position:
The American University of Iraq – Baghdad is now accepting applications for the position of Math Tutor. The successful candidate for this position will participate in the development of the newly created Math Center and provide math tutoring services to AUIB students. Candidates must have a B.S (minimum) in Mathematics and at least three years of experience teaching or tutoring students.
The Math Center offers drop-in and by appointment math tutoring services to students registered in mathematics courses at AUIB. While primarily focused on first-year courses such as College Algebra and Calculus, the Math Center is open for all students seeking mathematics tutoring and support.
As this is a new position in a startup university setting, it is essential that the successful candidate be a dynamic and results-oriented individual who enjoys working with students and providing support for them to succeed.
- Contribute to a positive, nurturing learning environment in the Math Center.
- Provide individual and group math tutoring and support services, both in-person and online.
- Work collaboratively with Faculty and Academic Advising staff to identify student needs regarding math tutoring services.
- Develop online and paper-based supplemental instruction resources.
- Attend math classes to provide tutoring support and introduce students to Math Center services.
- Supervise student peer tutors.
- Work collaboratively with Mathematics Faculty to:
- Collect course content and materials.
- Identify students requiring tutoring support.
- Develop student support initiatives.
- Identify concepts and areas which may require supplemental instruction and tutoring support.
- Work collaboratively with Academic Advisors to identify at-risk students and provide tutoring support.
- Keep records of students using tutoring services in order to measure efficiency of programs and respond to the needs of students.
- Prepare reports and provide analysis.
- Participate in Math Center initiatives, programs, and services.
- Update the AUIB website with Math Center information, as needed.
- Serve as member of various committees, as assigned.
- Perform related duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics (Master’s Degree Preferred)
- At least 3 years of teaching or tutoring experience
- Written and verbal communication skills in English
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Power Point, Excel)
- Demonstrated high degree of service mindset and delivering results.
- Demonstrated high degree of professionalism.
The ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with students, faculty and staff while being able to work independently under minimal supervision is essential. Candidates must also be able to manage a complex set of priorities utilizing effective organizational and time management skills. This position requires a strong collaborator who is highly motivated and enthusiastic about student success and improving the overall student experience.
Other Requirements and Abilities For The Position:
- Familiar with American post-secondary education.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators, and other staff members.
- Manage complex and highly sensitive materials and to foster a culture of confidentiality.
- Ability to make balanced judgments and decisions.
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter addressing the requirements of the position
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Copies of Passport Data information page.
- References (contact details) for up to three individuals who are familiar with your work.
- Copies of all formal academic degrees and certificates.
- Copies of your Transcripts.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Confidential review of materials and screening of candidates will begin immediately.
Please apply through AUIB website OR send your application and supporting documents to the following email address: [email protected]
You MUST put the position title in the Subject line.
If an applicant has any relatives working at AUIB this must be disclosed in writing in the cover letter.
If you have not heard back from us after 3 weeks, it means that your application was not successful.