Job description: M&E Coordinator
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator
Reports To: Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
FLSA Status: [ ]
Prepared by: Bosco Kasundu, Eryn Lee
Prepared date: August 14, 2018, March 6, 2019 (ed)
Join Heartland Alliance International to support our innovative programs serving marginalized and vulnerable communities.
Summary Heartland Alliance International (HAI) seeks passionate professionals to become part of our dynamic team of human rights workers. This is a call for an M&E Coordinator positon based in Iraq; stationed in Baghdad Office.
The candidate must bring exceptional work ethics and collaborative working style to support innovative human rights projects built to advocate for vulnerable population groups in Federal Iraq and the Iraqi Kurdistan Region (IKR). The candidate must be able to reside in the city where position is based, and is able to travel frequently to project locations in north, central and southern Iraq as security allows.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Direct support to design and implementation of monitoring, evaluation, and learning for assigned projects
- Provide technical M&E support to ensure accurate data is collected and inserted into indicator monitoring dashboard for ongoing monitoring of project performance;
- Develop and update project performance and quality monitoring and tracking tools and communicate findings or concerns to project managers;
- Ensure project and partner staff understand the key deliverables and indicators in donor-approved M&E framework, including data collection requirements;
- Facilitate and organize the execution and documentation of lessons-learned events in each field office under M&E manager’s guidance, which may involve field visits and interaction with project participants in project coverage sites;
- Support project teams in documentation of success stories and lessons learned.
- In coordination with the M&E Manager and Project Managers, facilitate data review and analysis for timely planning and preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly and final reports;
- Participate in internal project reviews and donor project reviews;
- Support logistical coordination of external evaluator field visits as needed.
Assistance in adoption of best practices in data collection, management, and quality audit processes
- Facilitate utilization of unified data management system by project and program staff by assessing the M&E capacity of staff and provide training as needed under the guidance of the M&E Manager;
- Ensure adherence to standard M&E operations guidelines as per HAI and donor requirements
- Audit project and partner staff data collection processes, data management, and reporting practices;
- In collaboration with programme team, support quality monitoring of interventions implemented to ensure adherence to sector level standards and requirements;
- Conduct audits and trainings to ensure data security best practices are adhered to by all project and partner staff.
Ensure participant accountability and participation of affected populations
- Coordinate initial accountability assessments, develop and implement accountability plans in line with Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and guidelines
- Ensure case audits and satisfaction surveys are conducted as part of participants’ case closing requirements
- Where applicable participate in accountability working groups or initiatives aimed on strengthening humanitarian accountability in Iraq.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or competency required. The candidate must be able to travel widely across the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and federal Iraq.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or other related field, graduate degree preferred.
- At least 2-4 years of experience coordinating M&E related fieldwork, including management of survey teams and research low resource environment
- Detailed knowledge of project cycle management, monitoring, evaluation, and learning tools and processes.
- Experience conducting and managing monitoring and evaluations in low resource settings.
- Experience in data collection tool design, data analysis, and data quality audit
- Experience developing and implementing survey instruments using electronic tools;
- Highly proficient at qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to train staff and implementing partners on M&E concepts, tools, and processes; teaching or training experience (desired);
- Experience leading organizational learning events.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel, STATA, SPSS, or other data software;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook and Exchange
- Other software routinely used by Heartland Alliance;
- Excellent oral and written English communication skill required (working ability);
- Arabic and/or Kurdish reading, writing and speaking ability required.
- Strong commitment to human rights with cultural sensitivity, respect, and confidentiality.
- Strong communication skills-including explaining M&E concepts into simpler language.
- Excellent relationship management skills (both professional and person relationships) Candidates should be flexible, have a sense of humor and patience.
- Proven ability to multi-task in a calm and professional way.
- Interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for religious and ethnic minority communities in Iraq and the IKR.
- Forward and Strategic Thinking- Able to understand the strategic intent and purpose of job duties and responsibilities, and able to offer insights to the management team regarding means to over-come barriers or improve processes.
- Self-Motivation - Has an awareness of their intrinsic motivations. Understands many jobs have duties or responsibilities that the employee does not feel motivated to complete, but is able to identify strategies –or seeks guidance from management- to complete all work duties with the same level of quality and efficiency.
- Professionalism - Thinks carefully about the likely effects on others of one’s words, actions, presentation of self, and mode of behavior. Monitors quality of work and selects the words or actions most likely to have the desired effect on the individual or group in question.
- Reliability - Shows commitment/ dedication and accountability in one’s work, and follows through on all projects, goals, aspects of one’s work. Fulfills all commitments made to peers, co-workers, and supervisor. Works to achieve agreement (by offering alternatives, etc.) on time frames or objectives that can be realistically met.
- Teamwork and collaboration- Willingly seeks and shares knowledge that will enable a colleague to improve in their job, or the team to advance towards a project goal. Takes into account the organization as a whole when making decisions. Separates one’s own interests from HAI’s interests to make the best possible judgments for HAI.
- Adaptability - Changes behavioral style or method of approach when necessary to achieve a goal; adjusts style as appropriate to the needs of the situation. Responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Integrity and Authenticity- Respects confidentiality. Contributes fair and equal contributions at work, measured by following through with promised and assigned work and honoring commitments, being honest about capabilities, limitations, and mistakes.
- Cultural Humility and Interpersonal Awareness- Aware of and able to read cues in different situations then adapt accordingly. Makes others feel comfortable by responding in ways that convey interest in what they have to say.
- Resilience and Stress Tolerance- Ability to manage difficult situations, seeks support or accepts offers of support when necessary, ability to overcome challenges
- Service Orientation- Willing to assist colleagues or participants by performing duties outside of one's job description, able to recognize when someone is confused or needs help and offers assistance without being asked. When unable to help, directs the individual to someone who can.
- Written Communications- Writes using concrete, specific language relevant to the purpose and audience
- Technical Expertise- Keeps informed about developments and trends in one’s technical area.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee may be required to travel frequently to insecure and limited-resource environments.
- Sometimes the candidate may be required to work for extra hours to deliver emerging unprecedented priorities
To Apply: Please send cover letter (1 page maximum) explaining your interest and how your experience meets the qualifications required and a CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear back from us within 3 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.