Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF / Baghdad Covid-19 response team is seeking for: Medical Interpreter
Verbal interpretation, in person or remotely, during daily medical activities (medical round, consultations, interviews, meetings, etc.) and written translations, from the mission language to local language(s) or vice versa, in order to ensure accurate, respectful, fluent and confidential communication between medical staff and local population.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inform medical staff about important cultural nuances to consider during a meeting, medical consultation or interview with local people.
- Participate in staff trainings and meetings as an interpreter.
- Provide face to face interpreting, as well as during telephone and radio calls or other telecom devices, when necessary.
- Adapt communication to any circumstances, using appropriate language registry as well as diplomatic and courtesy manners.
- Translate MSF internal / external documents into local language(s).
- Keep record of all translated documents.
- Look after all equipment provided, i.e. dictionaries or other books that belong to MSF
Ensure confidentiality and medical secrecy.
CONTEXT AND SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Communicates, interprets and translates critical medical information (in person or remotely) between to patients and family members and a healthcare worker who speaks a different language.
- Participate in ward rounds to support the multi disciplenary team in conveying medical information and feedbacks bilaterally.
- Facilitates diplomatic communication according to circumstances during meetings and conserve all sensitive information discussed.
- Exercise high levels of professionalism in faciliating communication between different parties within the medical atmosphere and otherwise.
- Translates written texts letters, memos and protocols and other official documents from English to the local language and vise versa where need be, preserving the originality of the message.
- Be a good listener and seek to understand complexity in various situations/expressions (cultural, political, medical) and communicate in very simple term to aid comprehension.
- May be required to translates and explains accordingly the rationals for medical procedures and prescription.
- Participate in continued training of staff and stay up to date with medical terminologies, to facilitate effectiveness of information.
- Uphold confidentiality for ALL information coming to their hearing and exercise empathy in translating information to patients and caregivers in medical situations when needed and facilitate mutual understanding between health care providers and the beneficiaries.
- Willing to work inside the COVID ward, and with COVID patients, and complies with internal infectious disease control protocols (Necessary PPEs and trainings will be provided).
Essential secondary education, university degree desirable, health knowledge advisable.
Essential, bilingual in both mission language (English AND Arabic) and local languages and/or dialects
Results, Teamwork, Flexibility, Commitment, Service, Stress Management.
How to apply:
Applicants must submit their CVs no later than the 21st of October 2021 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
stating the job title in the subject line: Medical Interpreter
We strongly encourage you to submit your application as early as possible
ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED