For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on four priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies and crisis.
In Iraq, MdM is involved in emergency, post-emergency and development programs. The MdM project is to support health care including sexual and reproductive health access in Dohuk, Ninewa and Kirkuk governorates, mainly focusing on IDPs population and returnees. Psychosocial support activities have been introduced in all the projects.
Under the direct management of the Program Manager and technical support of deputy MHPSS Co:
The Role of the Mental Health and Psycho-social Support Officer (MHPSS Officer) is to manage the team of Mental Health composed of Psycho-social counsellors (PSSCs) and Social Workers (SW).
The MH Officer ensures that all MHPSS activities are implemented in a timely manner and in compliance with the agreed work plan.
The MH Officer is responsible for reporting and documentation concerning MHPSS activities.
- In coordination with the program manager and the MHPSS technical team, plan and lead the MHPSS activities within the health facilities and the community level in the area of intervention.
- Contribute to the strategy planning of the MHPSS activities within the area of intervention.
- Monitor the activities. And ensures the appropriate implementation of the MHPSS activities.
- Ensure that the quality of services provided are according to MdM standards.
- Establish, utilize and maintain the referral system from and to MdM services (from community to PHCC, from PHCC to secondary services).
- Assist in the analysis, detection and reduction of risk factors influencing the mental health status at community level.
- Assist in the implementation of preventive mental health measures at both the community and PHCC level.
- Be the focal point of the MHPSS activities regarding challenges and possible solutions, improvements to the running of the project, and issues around technical quality of the project.
Technical Support, capacity building, and team management:
- Day-to-day management of the MHPSS team within the area of interventions.
- In collaboration with program manager and the MHPSS technical team, carry out regular supervision to ensure that activities are relevant and are in line with MdM’s objectives
- Take part in performance appraisals of staff under his/her supervision (PSS counsellors, social workers).
- In coordination with the Program manager and the MHPSS technical team, participate in identifying training needs of the PSSCs and SWs and building their capacities
- Ensure regular meetings with PSSCs and SWs to provide support and ensure the quality of interventions.
- Provide on the job training to the team under his/her supervision.
- In coordination with program manager and the MHPSS technical team, identify capacity building for PHCC staff on MHPSS topics.
- Assist in the recruitment of the MHPSS staff.
M&E and Reporting:
- Work in collaboration with the MEAL department to ensure adequate data collection is in place, respecting client confidentiality.
- Ensure a proper documentation of the MHPSS activities using MdM documentation files.
- Ensure that all necessary forms and questionnaires are properly completed and archived on a weekly basis.
- Ensure all necessary forms and data collection tools are safely stored and backed up.
- Participate in all necessary regular monitoring activities.
- Based on the on-going monitoring of the activities, ensure lessons learnt and success stories from the project are documented.
- In coordination with MdM management team, carry on periodic needs assessment within the area of intervention (when it is needed).
- Producing timely progress reports, including both quantitative and qualitative information, on MHPSS activities.
Coordination and representation:
- In coordination with program Manager, liaise regularly with counterparts in other bases within MdM Iraq to ensure that tools, training content, approach and reporting are harmonized across the mission.
- Coordinate with other departments (HR, Log, Fin) to ensure smooth implementation of the MHPSS activities.
- When requested and needed, attend coordination meetings, liaise with other MHPSS actors and represent MdM as required.
- Participate in MDM internal meetings and individual meetings with the other management team.
- Build and maintain regular contact with other NGOs/partners/ institutions and DoH at the field level and in coordination with program Manager.
- Attend cluster and working group meetings when requested by line manager.
- Participate in assessments/service mapping, where and when necessary
- Assist MdM in dealing with local authorities and local partners if necessary
- Support in the organization of MdM’s program activities
- Verbal and written translation when necessary of MHPSS tools
- Collaborate and participate, in any field survey, data collection and/or needs assessment organized by MDM in relation to MHPSS.
- The activities may change based on the changing context.
- Any other related MDM tasks as assigned by the line manager
- Degree or Diploma in psychology, Social work or relevant field.
- 3 years of professional experience in a relevant field and 1-year experience in a management capacity.
- Experience working in the humanitarian sector, proactivity, autonomy, and ability to work with a multicultural team.
- Experience in supervising and support the MHPSS team.
- Strong knowledge of international protection and psycho-social programming in the humanitarian context
- Previous working experience with primary health care domain.
- Previous working experience with IDPs, refugees, and returnees
- Fluency in English, Arabic, and Kurdish.
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong facilitation skills and proven experience in community mobilization.
- Good leadership skills
- Strong technical knowledge in protection and psycho-social support
- Strong analytical and report writing skills
- Strong training and facilitation skills
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team
Submit CV and Cover letter by Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
including the subject:
LAST SUBMISSION DATE ON September 25, 2021
please make sure to send your CV in PDF/word format (other formats or links aren't considered) and write the reference (2021-KRK-06)on the subject of your email. Only Short-Listed Applicants Will Be Contacted Reviewing the application CVs will be on a rolling basis, as such; MdM reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date of the job advertisement.