Location: Anbar-Ramadi office
Position Status: Full-time
Salary Level :5
Current Team Member: AN
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The operations department exists to support program needs (WASH, CASH, Education and MEL related to administration (office management, fleet management, asset management, communication and human resources.
General Position Summary
The Procurement office based Ramadi office is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services. The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
The Procurement Officer is responsible for overseeing procurement aspects of Mercy Corps. Working closely with Program, Finance and Logistics, the Procurement Officer is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Daily coordination of Mercy Corps procurement activities.
- Has a full understanding of Mercy Corps procurement policies and formats. Assists, as needed in training staff on these policies.
- Assist Program and operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by manager – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Interact with Vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Head of Sub Office.
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Assist the management and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Assists asset controller with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Assist warehouse officer with the preparing of GRN, visit filed for verification of deliveries of program material.
- Ensure quality and quantity ordered material and service on behalf of warehouse. Travel to field to verify deliveries as and when required.
- The Procurement Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its development mission.
- Other duties as assigned by HoSO.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that drivers operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Reports Directly to: Anbar HoSO
Works Directly with: operations team and all programs.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S in relevant field required; MA/MS/MBA or equivalent preferred.
- 3 years of experience managing the development, implementation, logistics, procurement, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; general program management experience required. Experience managing a team preferred.
- Prior experience in office logistics/procurement is required. Experience with running offices strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Office software required (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Professional proficiency in English and Arabic required. The candidate should be able to communicate at a professional level with staff, stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- A passion for humanitarian work and helping displaced people to live independently.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles, follow procedures, and meet deadlines.
- Promotes a culture of accountability in handling cash and all paperwork according to high standards of accuracy and compliance to ensure smooth processing of payments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to implement a complex program according to procedures and high standards of compliance.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results.
- Conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment.
The most successful Mercy Corps staff member has a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, and makes effective communication a priority in all situations. Flexibility about work assignments and processes is necessary in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment, coupled with the ability to respond to many new and unpredictable challenges in a demanding program.