About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is implementing the project to be youth-led approach that not only works with youth to identify solutions, but also would put youth at the center of program design and implementation. Leveraging Mercy Corps Iraq youth programming centers in Ninawa and Al Basra, youth could come together to learn, design, and plan for their own projects, entering in a competition of small grants, through following outcomes:
- Outcome 1: Youth groups engage online and offline populations in countering disinformation & misinformation
- Outcome 2: Youth increase their skills and competencies in countering misinformation as a result of their engagement in the project
- Outcome 3: Youth groups effectively manage small grant projects
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Program Officer – IYAD in Social Cohesion and Conflict Management Programs will work closely with the Senior Program Manager in Mosul office, to implement the program activities for IYAD project in Ninawa and Basra in collaboration with existing project DRL-SAWA for the following themes:
- Workshop: The workshop will take place over three days, with two days of learning and one workshop day. Eight youth leaders selected form communities in Basra and Ninawa will represent their youth groups as participants in the learning and workshops. They will design their projects and bring back the learnings and ideas to their communities
- Implementation: Four winning digital countering disinformation and misinformation project ideas will be selected (two from each location). The winning ideas will receive funding to support their projects. These groups will be supported by the Peace & Tech initiative as well as the Mercy Corps Iraq DRL-SAWA (Basra Governorate) and SIDA-TAGHIR (Ninawa Governorate ), Programs through the life of their projects
- Graduation and Presentations: At the close of the projects, another joint learning session will be holding to discuss lessons learned, successes and challenges, as well as recommendations for future programming. The day-long event will also include presentations and discussions/networking with country-representatives from Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, UN, Donor and Diplomatic Community, and other key stakeholders
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Supervise the IYAD Program Participants /Youth Leaders.
- Regular site visits and monitoring to the program implementations.
- Work together with local government to coordinate the program activities implementations.
- Submit monthly and weekly activities progress report for program implementation to the Senior Program Manager.
- Support the Senior Program Manager in the documentation process for program activities.
- Prepare additional reports/presentations/statistics as needed.
- Attend project related meetings and trainings.
- Abide by all security protocols.
- Disseminate and document success stories of program.
- Conduct him/herself professionally and in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Any other duties as assigned as directed by the Senior Program Manager.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Accountable to Position Description, MC HR Manual, and Code of Conduct Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: none
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Senior Program Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: MEL Unit, Program teams, local partners team, field-based logistics and finance teams, and other MC team members.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Education / Technical Training Certificate or a relevant field required
- At least 2 years of work experience with an INGO / local NGO
- Prior experience in social media sectors and countering the disinformation
- Prior experience of supporting training / capacity building for youth / youth programs is highly desirable;
- Prior skills in conducting training and capacity building activities for a range of diverse participants; training and capacity building for youth (young men and young women) is a plus
- Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including the private sector, local authorities and partners in complex environments.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills
- Computer skills – Word and Excel desired
- Language skills – Arabic, English desired
- Ability to work and interact with a diverse staff from different ethnicities and backgrounds
- Ability to conduct oneself with sensitivity and respect toward others
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES:
Successful candidates should meet the education and experience requirements in the position descriptions for the On Boarding and Capacity Building Officer.
S/he must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in difficult, stressful environments and follow Mercy Corps procedures. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR CVS TO THE EMAIL
ADDRESS email@example.com BEFORE THE DEADLINE INDICATED BELOW.
Please indicate on the subject of the email the title of the position you are applying for, for full position description for the noted posts, please visit websites NCCI and F-Job.
ALL APPLICATIONS/ CVS SHOULD BE RECEIVED BY AUGUST 1st, 2021 AT 4:00PM
Potential candidates for the post will be contacted for an interview and processed according to Mercy Corps Human Resources policies and procedures. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for potential interview.
Any documents submitted will remain with Mercy Corps and will not be returned to candidates. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. Females are highly encouraged to apply.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply for this position. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global Impact.
Mercy Corps Iraq offers a variety of arrangements that enable women to excel in their careers. Mercy Corps Iraq ensures a safe and inclusive working environment for women and men through field security training and measures to provide secure working arrangements on-site and in the office.