The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks a Program Officer (PO) / Senior Program Officer (SPO) to support programs focused on public opinion research (POR) and domestic election monitoring (DEM) in Iraq. The PO/SPO will manage events including workshops and trainings, provide research assistance, and conduct oversight of subgrant partners, among other responsibilities. Relevant professional experience in research, subgrantee oversight, and/or electoral issues is expected. The PO/SPO will be based in Baghdad, Iraq and report to the Resident Senior Country Director. Arabic fluency is required and travel to provinces outside Baghdad is expected, when permitted by security.
The PO/SPO’s responsibilities, as defined by his/her managers, could include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate regular communication with DEM program partner. Serve as the primary point-of-contact for NDI’s subgrant partner on program implementation, including progress toward meeting objectives, monthly reporting and identifying technical assistance needs in coordination with a short-term technical advisor;
- Establish and maintain relationships with elections officials, other monitoring organizations, and other electoral stakeholders;
- Provide research support to a POR project, including reviewing Arabic language transcripts/questionnaires to follow-up on new lines of inquiry, assist with contextual analysis of data; review reports prepared by third-party vendors, help coordinate briefings, among other technical needs;
- In coordination with the Administration and Finance Team, arrange logistics for NDI activities throughout Iraq, such as workshops, conferences, meetings, and other events. This could include communicating with participants, coordinating participant travel, arranging activity venues and accommodations, preparing supplies and printed materials, paying vendors, preparing cash advances, reconciling expenditures among other tasks;
- Provide written translation and oral interpretation for Arabic-English and English-Arabic;
- Draft activity notes and reports following trainings, activities and consultations;
- In coordination with the Resident Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer, facilitate data collection efforts to track the program’s progress toward achieving objectives in line with NDI’s performance monitoring framework;
- Contribute to analysis of political and security developments relevant to programming and assist in preparation of NDI’s programmatic reporting, research reports, news updates, and other written products;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor(s), even outside traditional working hours.
- Minimum four years of relevant experience for PO (or six years of experience for SPO) in a similar role with international organizations, provincial governance institutions or civil society organizations;
- Bachelor’s degree required, a degree in social sciences fields preferred;
- Excellent knowledge of political processes and developments in Iraq;
- Knowledge of electoral observation or public opinion research methodologies highly desirable;
- Demonstrated experience in program management with a reputation for a strong work ethic, trustworthiness, effective time management skills, and problem solving;
- Strong written and oral communication/translation/interpretation skills in Arabic and English are required;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills to effectively build relationships with all levels of staff, program partners, international personnel and consultants, political actors, and NGO community;
- Demonstrated capacity to think and write critically about politics and NDI’s program areas;
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Working knowledge of Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, and G+), and PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications;
- Willingness to work beyond usual working hours, when necessary; and
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout Iraq, security situation permitting.
Suitable and qualified candidates are requested to send a CV and cover letter in English, stating qualifications and previous professional experience, to the following email address: email@example.com, with the subject line (Ref: PO/SPO, Baghdad). Your CV and cover letter should demonstrate your interest and qualifications for this position. Deadline for submission of applications is close-of-business on August 23, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.