GOAL Iraq Programme
Team Leader (UNDP – CFW)
Dohuk Governorate (Sumel, Zakho and Akre Districts)
01 June 2019
Economic Development and Livelihood Program Manager
General Description of the Programme
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency that works with poor and vulnerable communities to ensure that they have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate food, shelter, water and sanitation, healthcare, education and economic opportunities. GOAL is a key Irish player in humanitarian emergency response and works to find lasting solutions to change the root causes of poverty and vulnerability. Throughout our history, GOAL has worked in over 60 countries and responded to almost every major humanitarian disaster since our inception. We are currently operational in 13 countries globally.
GOAL has supported conflict-affected populations in Iraq since 2015. Registered in both Baghdad and the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI), our Country Office is in Dohuk, with a sub-office in Mosul. The team implement programmes directly and via local partners. We focus on developing sustainable livelihoods and increasing household and community resilience. Specifically, GOAL aims to support sustainable, inclusive and stabilising change in Iraq by stimulating enterprise growth and agriculture production.
As Iraq moves towards a post-conflict environment, communities are increasingly focused on recovery, reconstruction and rehabilitation alongside building resilience. GOAL supports stabilisation through working with refugees, internally displaced persons (IDPs) and host communities to build sustainable livelihoods and improve food security. With countrywide registration and national partners, GOAL is also well positioned to respond to urgent needs while Iraq remains susceptible to shocks.
The project under which the Team Leader would be recruited is a 4 months (June 2019 – September 2019) UNDP funded project in Dohuk Governorate (Sumel, Zakho and Akre Districts) promoting employment generation through provision of Cash For Work opportunities and provision of Tools to the participants having extensive stakeholder consultation and ensuring women participation for delivering the required irrigation, infrastructure and renovation outputs.
Overview of the role
The Team Leader would lead the Project and the project staff and will work under the direct supervision of the Economic Development and Livelihood Program Manager. The Team Leader will lead coordination with the local community and different stakeholders in implementing livelihood recovery through provision of cash for work opportunities.
- Manage the project team consisting of project officers and project assistant through-out the project cycle.
- Ensure that Implementation of Project is as per plan and budget.
- Make weekly, monthly, quarterly plan for the team.
- Plan and oversee logistic and procurement requirement, budget forecasting and request, general project quality oversight.
- Liaise with various stakeholders relevant for the project, improve communication with them and involve relevant stakeholders to the project activities.
- Finalize the irrigation systems, infrastructure and work area that require rehabilitation and restoration.
- Define quality and work standards of the cash for work output deliverables.
- Ensure participation of the community by mobilizing the community into the project activities.
- Ensure selection of participants are based on the selection criteria and participation of the requisite number of women.
- Matching participants to the relevant CFW and ensuring application of safe work standards.
- Manage distribution of tools and equipment as outlined in the project.
- Ensure organizing and regular participation of the community members engaged in the CFW.
- Ensure construction, rebuilding are up to the accepted quality standards set at the beginning of the project.
- Compile work completion reports, assessments and submission.
- Ensure Project standards and objectives are met, quality of project delivery maintained,
- Prepare reports to be submitted to the donor, including best practices, success stories, project feedback, stakeholder accountability.
- Support the external evaluation of the project.
- Ensure all guidelines, principles and policies of GOAL and the donor are followed during project implementation.
- Mentor and keep the team motivated, delegate tasks and responsibilities as per workplan.
- Undertake other activities as advised by GOAL management team.
- Ensure project closing and handover.
- Coordinate with other support team and MEAL teams.
- Plan for evaluation and donor visits.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to GOAL and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- University degree in a related field (civil engineering, architect, town planning etc).
- Must have at least 1 year of previous experience of leading the project team.
- Must have at least 3 year experience working in livelihood programming through Cash For Work activities.
- Must have previous experience in donor reporting.
- Must have knowledge of Project Management and Budget Management.
- Previously done Irrigational system renovation, community infrastructure rehabilitation or construction.
- Good level of technical planning and implementation.
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Must be fluent in Kurdish.
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail.
- The ideal candidates will respectively come from the geographic areas targeted and be a respected member of the community.
- Have WASH Background in developing infrastructure development.
- Understanding of labour market interventions.
Kindly, Submit your resume and cover letter via the link:
General terms and conditions
GOAL has Code of Conduct, Safeguarding and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.