The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Iraq since 2003 and in Northern Iraq since 2010. It is currently implementing a broad range of activities relevant to conflict-affected communities and persons. The activities are categorized into ten sectors: Shelter and Non-food Items, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Livelihoods, Protection, Mine Risk Education, Camp Coordination, and Camp Management (CCCM).
Overall purpose of the role:
- Delivery of case management services and implementation of individual protection assistance (IPA) to vulnerable and at-risk target population in Tel Afar.
- Assist the Protection Officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of case management and IPA activities.
This role has a focus on Tel Afar and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within DRC Iraq and the Tel Afar area office. The role contributes to the implementation of protection strategies for Tel Afar, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
- Identification of people in need of individual protection (Case Management and/or IPA) and ensure timely response, including referrals of people in need of GBV case management or Child Protection case management.
- Provide case management services, in line with DRC Iraq guidance and case management standard operating procedure (SOP) to community members of different ages (youth, adults and older persons), gender (men and women) and abilities (including persons with disabilities).
- At all times, respect information management principles and guiding principles for case management.
- Provide case management services, following standardized case management process including following steps: identification, comprehensive needs assessment, case planning and implementation, follow-up and review, case closure.
- Provide individual protection assistance in line with DRC Iraq guidance and individual protection assistance SOP, including detailed documentation of intake, assessment and distribution.
- Regular follow up on the assigned case to ensure that the case plan remains adequate, to monitor progress and identify additional needs.
- Provide psychosocial support throughout the whole case management process.
- Conduct regular visits to targeted field locations for mobile intake and referral.
- Participate in supervision and coaching sessions, individual and/or in group, including case discussions.
- Participate in internal and external trainings, as requested by the Protection Officer (CM) and Protection Team Leader.
- Ensure all IPA and CM activities are recorded and documented accurately and in a timely fashion on DRC Iraq’s IM system.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate case and IPA files in a safe and confidential manner.
- Support MEAL team with implementation of evaluations and surveys.
- Produce activity reports as required by Protection Officer (CBP).
- Support Protection Officer (CBP) with administrative tasks including purchase requests to supply chain.
- Ensure compliance with DRC guidelines and policies on HR, admin, finance, and supply.
- Ensure adherence to DRC national staff policy guidelines and Code of Conduct.
- Ensure compliance with DRC AGD policy and AGD programmatic minimum standards.
- Ensuring compliance with the zero-tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as requested by the Protection Officer (CBP) and Protection Team Leader.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience in protection in humanitarian setting
- Experience in facilitation of PSS activities and the delivery of community programs to vulnerable groups
- Understanding of protection principles, protection minimum standards and basic psychosocial support concepts
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and always prioritize the safety and dignity of beneficiaries.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Fluency in Arabic
- Ability to communicate and write in English
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Diploma in social work, counseling, psychology or another related field
- Equivalent professional qualification
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Turkmen is asset
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- DRC staff
- Persons of concerns
- Other actors working staff
- Contract length: 3 months with possibility of extension subject to funds
- Salary Band: I
- Designation of duty station: Baaj
- Start date: As soon as possible.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. HERE