This position is based in Sharya, Duhok
About Jesuit Refugee Service:
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS), founded in 1980, is an international Catholic non-governmental organisation with a mission to accompany, serve, and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons, that they may heal, learn, and determine their own future.
JRS programmes are currently found in 56 countries, serving refugees and other forcibly displaced persons in conflict zones and detention centres, on remote borders and in busy cities. We run pastoral care and psychosocial support programmes in detention centres and refugee camps, and provide humanitarian relief in emergency displacement situations. Education and livelihoods programmes provide skill development and opportunities for integration into host communities.
Since October 2014, JRS has worked in Iraq to uphold and restore the dignity of forcibly displaced persons and returnees, show compassion to the most vulnerable among them, and be a sign of hope that a shared future is possible.
General Purpose of the Position:
The secretary/receptionist at the JRS Community Centre in Sharya, Duhok, welcomes visitors to this busy centre, handles enquires, and provides administrative and office support.
Main Responsibilities of the Position
1. Secretarial and Reception Duties
- Welcome visitors respectfully and handle enquiries accurately and efficiently
- Work closely with the data entry clerk to ensure smooth workflow and accurate data collection and management
- Translate documents or data from Kurdish and/or Arabic into English
- Work collaboratively with supervisors and country office staff to generate reports
- Receive and relay enquiries and information to appropriate project staff
- Ensure prompt completion of a variety of office duties, such as scanning, printing, and photocopying
- Maintain and monitor accurate, neat, and efficient electronic and manual filing systems
- Keep digital records of people served by different programmes
- Handle information securely and with complete confidentiality
- Schedule and coordinate appointments and meetings
- Support logistics assistants in office work, compilation and processing of forms, ordering supplies
- Coordinate office equipment maintenance schedules with the country IT support officer
- Support in the coordination of deliveries and distributions
- Archiveprogramme documents (completed forms, templates, etc.) in accordance with JRS’s archiving policy and in coordination with the database manager directives
- Secure information by completing the database backups according to JRS policies
- Report weekly about achievements to the Protection & Education Director or Assistant.
- Be available for other duties and activities as requested by the Protection & Education Director or Assistant, or as required by circumstances and within the ambit of the position.
- Compassionate and welcoming personality
- Bachelor’s degree in English language, IT, business studies, or relevant degree
- Self-motivated and highly organised team player
- Fluent Kurdish (Kurmanji) and Arabic, as well as high proficiency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365TM applications, especially Excel and Word
- Very good communication, secretarial, and reporting skills
- High integrity and honesty
Suitably qualified candidates are to submit their CV accompanied by a cover letter. The cover letter should explain (1) why the applicant considers her/himself suitable for this position; and (2) how s/he can contribute to the mission of the Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) as a member of staff.
Applications are to be sent by email to the Human Resources Officer iraq.hrDuhok@jrs.net by Wednesday, 28 July 2021, marked Secretary/Receptionist (Sharya) in the subject line.
The email text should make clear reference to this recruitment and should show the name and contact details of the sender. Both the CV and the cover letter should be in English and are to be sent as Word or pdf attachments. Links to online documents will not be opened.
CVs not accompanied by a cover letter or without the title of the position in the subject line, as explained above, will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview. Previous applicants need not re-apply.