The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision an
To achieve the overall and specific position’s objectives, the SS Assistant (Maintenance) will perform the following tasks and undertake the following responsibilities:-
- Receive verbal or written orders from SS HR/Admin Officer.
- Performing maintenance at the request of the supervisor
- Performs work according to DRC standard procedures as instructed by SS TL and SS HR/Admin Officer.
- Monthly basic check to DRC electrical assets such as transformer and generator (cleaning and oil change).
- Fixing furniture and equipment.
- Fixing doors, locks, windows, glasses, water tanks, and water heater boilers
- Makes minor carpentry, electrical, mechanical and plumbing repairs.
- Performs touch up and finish painting.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Assembles and disassembled furniture in DRC premises.
- Follows all applicable safety rules and procedures.
- Multi task technician
- Reports work accomplished verbally or on written work order to the SS HR/Admin Officer as relevant.
- Other duties as deemed necessary by the SS TL or SS HR/ Admin Officer.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Previous experience in general maintenance
- Previous experience in technician, electrical, plumbing and carpentering
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- NGO experience (desirable)
- Communication Skills
- Teamwork Skills
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- High school diploma
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Arabic fluent
- Turkman language desirable
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Support Service HR/Admin Officer
- Support Services Team Leader
- Supply Chain Officer (Logistics)
Contract length: 6 months (with the possibility of extension)
Salary Band: K
Start date: March 1st, 2020.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. .
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. HERE
Closing date for applications: 24-02-2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ng