To ensure the work of the Communication department is managed efficiently and effectively in line with an established guidelines. The Language Specialist 1 helps the ICRC communicate clearly and consistently by providing translation services from English into Arabic and vice versa and/or editing services in their mother tongue.
In addition ,you will need to be an enthusiastic, flexible, committed, and a resourceful colleague who can support the Manager to lead the team. The successful candidate will need to deliver to a high standard, be resilient and have a positive “can do” attitude.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities under the direct supervision of the ICRC Language Specialist 2 in Baghdad:
- Translates from English into Arabic and vice versa and/or edits in their mother tongue a wide range of ICRC texts, such as legal, financial, and technical, within agreed deadlines, ensuring high quality and appropriate terminology;
- Manages deadlines so as to deliver translations on time, maintaining the skills to self-time-manage the priorities of the needed documents within a limited time frame;
- Converts concepts from their mother tongue to equivalent concepts in the target language;
- Ensures that the documents entrusted are translated in accordance with the standards of the ICRC;
- Follows up and updates terminologies and other ICRC-related matters in Arabic and English;
- May advise colleagues from other units of the Organization on linguistic issues;
- Advises on sensitivities regarding the use of national languages in the delegations;
- Edits documents (letters, reports, etc) both in Arabic and English;
- When needed, assists in delegation-related interpretation activities (seminars and workshops and official meetings with interlocutors);
- Summarises documents, and translates the summary; and
- Participates and contributes to various projects (publications, productions) and organisation of events, such as conferences, seminars and workshops;
- When needed, assists in delegation-related interpretation activities (seminars and workshops and official meetings with interlocutors).
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in translation or professional language skills from a recognized academic institution or equivalent.
- 3–5 years' experience in translation or editing (preferably in an international organization setting)
- For translators, editing experience is an asset
- Basic knowledge of international law or related fields
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written Arabic and English (Full Professional Proficiency)
- Experience in communicating and working with a wide range of people, including people of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Ability to work under pressure
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results;
- Proficiency in Office applications, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Explorer.
- Team work & Collaboration , Beneficiary & Client focused
- Representing the ICRC
ICRC Remuneration and Social Benefits: We offer
- A monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, medical coverage, training opportunities and social security scheme)
- The opportunity to practice your profession in an international, humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Support you through ongoing learning and development opportunities
The successful candidate will submit to a three month probation period.
Interested candidates should forward the following to (BAG_hrservices@icrc.org)
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications
- Salary expectations
Please indicate the post title you are applying for. Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permit in Iraq.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted immediately.
As ICRC, we are convinced that diversity makes us better at what we do: it enables us to form close relationships with wide-ranging communities and develop the best solutions for the people we work with. We make a conscious effort to have diverse teams with regards to age, disability, race, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation and particularly in terms of gender as women make up more than 20 % of our staff and are encouraged to apply.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization
whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal
violence and provide them with assistance. Please visit our website for further information: www.icrc.org
ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).