The WASH Officer will support the Program Manager to assess needs and coordinate the provision of WASH Program to persons of concern. This will include WASH contingency and preparedness planning, assessment and development of long term WASH Strategy and operational plans. Coordination with WASH partners in conjunction with the government authorities, and monitoring progress of WASH program implementation to ensure that an adequate level of WASH service is provided at each site in accordance with the Mercy Hands Standards and/or National Standards.
- Implement delegated WASH project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Participate in the implementation of WASH needs assessments and assessment of WASH facilities to be rehabilitated and / or build in the project, through technical feasibility studies, household level questionnaires, focus group discussions, visits to facilities and sites.
- Participate in defining work specifications and quotation, and ensure the implementation and direct follow-up of activities related to the construction of WASH infrastructures in public institutions and communities, such as:
- Construction or rehabilitation of drinking water infrastructures (Water treatment plant, pumping stations, boreholes, pipe network, reservoir, drinking water treatment device).
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Contribute to organizational learning through the provision specific technical analysis, lessons learned and reports
- Undertake trainings on hygiene promotion
- Assist in developing relevant materials that will be used for training and in carrying out hygiene promotion activities within the camp.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH program.
- Collect relevant health data on WASH related illness to be able to monitor on the impact of the public health promotion program
- Contributing to contingency planning for possible WASH emergency response if required
- Bachelor degree in field related to Civil engineering, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of water and sanitation projects for at least 3 years. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel and Power Point
- At all times in and outside work adhere to Mercy Hands Code of Conduct
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated Programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
- Political and cultural awareness
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Understanding of international health and development and relief issues
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Fluency in English, oral and written
please send your CV's with to cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
with mention in the subject line “WASH Officer"